Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year Kickoff - Daily Quiet Time Tips!

It's that time of year again! Many of us are making resolutions to improve the quality of our lives such as: losing weight; eating better; quitting a bad habit; establishing new habits.

As a way to kickoff our New Year, I'll blog daily tips and/or benefits to help you know God in a personal way. (See our Tip #1 below!) All too often, I think we tend to think that He is a distant God that only wants to help us with the big decisions of life. Yet nothing could be further from the truth. He wants to be in the nitty-gritty details of everyday life with you.

Proverbs 3:5-6 Message Translation
Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own. Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Don't assume you know it all. Run to God!

This past weekend, I got to see God up close and personal. However, my up-close and personal were not fun, happy-go-lucky moments. It was bitter-sweet. Actually, to be honest, the bitter part was heart-wrenching. Without going into detail, my family got to experience what Job called, "the Lord give and the Lord take away" kind of deals. (Job 1:21). These are not fun deals by the way. However, just as Job praised the Lord anyway, we chose to too.

As we did, God did some of the coolest things in our midst. He showed Himself real and tangible and allowed us to see small signs of His visible nearness. We could even see Him speaking to us and comforting us through the weather.

I realize this may sound crazy to some people. But if we'll open our eyes of faith, we'll be able to see God in the everyday. If we'll draw near to Him, He'll draw near to us.
So...
If you know you should spend time with God...
If you feel spiritually dry...
If you just need some help in studying your Bible...

Then join me each weekday this month (Lord willing!) for 20 practical tips/benefits in having a vibrant quiet time. I pray they'll be helpful in your everyday life.

Tip #1:
If you are like me, you don't have an extra minute to spare. However, in order to grow in our love relationship with Jesus, we have to make time.
Take a mental inventory of your normal day. Where can you carve out 15-30 minutes? For me, it's before my children wake up - typically around 5:30am. Hold your groan! Before you start protesting - hear me out. It's the BEST part of my day. I can't wait -I'll tell you why tomorrow...

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment