Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Caught in the Trap of Yo-Yo Christianity?

Philippians 4:11-13
"...for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."


Tip #7:
Spending quality, regular time with Jesus each day prevents yo-yo Christianity.


Are you a yo-yo Christian? Up when your circumstances are up - down when your circumstances are down. Or are you filled with deep down joy and contentedness despite the pendulum of everyday life?

I wish I could say that I'm never a yo-yo Christian. However, quite often what I find is:
  • When everything seems to be going my way...
  • Or when I have something fun planned...
  • Or when everyone is doing what I want them to do - (what a perfect world it would be!)

it's easy to ride the high of happiness. But this is yo-yo Christianity. What about the Monday's, Tuesday's, and Wednesdays? What about the days when no one is doing what I want them to do? (happens quite often) What about the seasons when there are no plans for "fun" on the calendar? What about those nights that I eat left-overs after left-overs? (Yuck!)

I desperately want what Paul describes as "being content in any and every situation." And though I have not fully attained - this I know: The days that make spending quality time with Jesus a priority, I find that I do not waiver despite other people's moods; I'm content with my circumstances, my menu, and even in the monotony of every day life.

When David penned the words of Psalm 62:1-2, I think he had learned the same secret Paul had: "My soul finds rest in God alone... He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will never be shaken."

Did you hear that? He said, "soul rest." A.k.a.= content deep within our beings in any and every situation. Hmm, now that's good stuff!!!

Only then, will we escape the trap of yo-yo Christianity.

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment