Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Are you Biblically Literate?

Acts 17:11
Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

Tip #9 :
When we spend time reading our Bibles each day, we become Biblically literate. We get to know the God of the Bible.

Who is God to you? Is He the God of the Bible? How did you come to know Him?
  • Through a Sunday School teacher?
  • Sermons?
  • Through friends?
  • Modern culture or TV?

If your knowledge of God is second-hand, has it come through reliable student teachers? Are these student teachers teaching you the God of the Bible? Or are they teaching a denomination's rules or modern philosophy?

Currently, I'm a member of a Bible teaching church. However, this has not always been the case. I've sat in churches where the Bible was NOT taught. Oh the Bible was there - but merely as an ornament or decoration. The ONLY REASON I knew the difference, is because I've made it a point to become biblically literate. I do not know it all! I have not read the whole Bible. Yet even after attending a few in-depth Bible studies - I was quickly able to discern if what I was hearing from others was biblical or not. I like the Bereans, examined the Scriptures to see if what I was hearing was true.

I challenge you today to take an inventory of how you developed your perception of God. Are your perceptions biblical? If we want to get to know the God of the Bible:

  • Spend time with Him each day- (my Bible study: Establishing a Vibrant Quiet Time can help you get started.
  • Join a Bible study. I'm leading one on Tuesday mornings in the Apex/Cary, NC area. (Contact me for the specifics.)
  • If you are getting your info second-hand, examine what you are hearing to see if it's biblical.

Our God is a big God. Yet our faith will never be stronger than the God we perceive. Let's grow in our biblical literacy. This way we'll know if what we are hearing is true - or a bunch a junk.

No comments:

Post a Comment