Monday, January 24, 2011

Loneliness

Romans 12:2
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.

Tip #10:
When we spend time with God each day, we will have the courage to not conform to the pattern of the world.

Last Saturday afternoon, I was in a funk. I couldn't explain it. And I really couldn't pinpoint the exact cause. All day I had been in a great mood. What had happened?

As I emptied the dishwasher, I finally looked up and said, "What? What is this? Why am I feeling like this?"

Immediately, my mind went to a phone call I had taken earlier. A friend had had a 40th birthday party celebration and I had not been invited. I had known about and was not at all bothered by it. The friend and I are not as close as we once were, so it wasn't a big deal. However, for some unknown reason, today was different. (Probably a female thing.) I had been left out and it made my heart hurt.

As I sulked and felt sorry for myself for a few minutes, the Lord brought my mind to the Proverbs 31 woman. You see, the Bible was not idle words to her - they were her life. She was rare - she was not like every woman. However, in her uniqueness, I wonder if she ever felt left-out or lonely because of her lifestyle?

When we choose to sincerely follow Christ, we need to expect to be different from other people around us. Our mind-sets will be different. The way we think; the way we behave; the way we talk; the way we dress - all of it - will be different. In fact, sometimes, we won't even fit in with our church friends!!! (Scandalous! more on this another time!) The Bible tells us to "not conform to the pattern of this world..." (Romans 12:2) Jesus even tells us that "the world will hate us for we are not of the world any more." (John 17:14)

It hurts to be left out; it stings to be shunned by close friends at social events; it's awkward when you really don't "fit in" anymore at social gatherings. My list could go on...

As I continued to sulk, the Lord immediately brought my to mind, what I do have:
  • As of today, I have a husband who loves me and accepts me the way I am. He does not shun me at social events.
  • I have a new set of girl friends - I like to call them Jesus friends. Though I don't see them very much - just knowing they are there comforts my heart.
  • I have peace in my heart that God is pleased with me - I'm not perfect, but I'm accepted by Him.
  • I have found my God given life purpose - and He's allowing me to live it and share it with others!

When I began thinking about my role model, the Proverbs 31 woman and all that I have - So what if I wasn't included. I probably should have been more concerned if I had been included!

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment