Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas Disappointments Can Become Sweet Memories-

After Christmas Tip:

Don't allow this Christmas season to go by without recording your special memories. Surely, there are many! Christmas Keepsake Journal provides 6 years of space for memories. There's space to record:
  • New traditions you made-
  • This year's Christmas picture-
  • How you spent Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
  • Who you spent Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with -

  • What you ate-
  • Much more!!!

I'll be giving some examples in the day's to come. To order, simply click on the Knowing God Ministries Page.

Christmas Disappointments...

In the mean time, allow me to share a Christmas memory that I'll be recording this year. At first glance you'll think it's heartbreaking, but I love how God worked it out.

On Christmas Eve, my husband and I were bracing for the ultimate disappointment we knew would surely come the next morning despite our efforts. And as predicted, it did.

My son, Will was dying for a PS3. It was all he wanted for Christmas. But early in December, Tim and I had made the decision that we wouldn't be buying another game system. So when Christmas morning arrived and Will realized there was no PS3 under the tree, he was devastated. (Truly a Ralphie - Red Rider BB Gun moment, from the movie The Christmas Story!)

Had he thrown a temper tantrum - it may have been easier. Had he not shown any interest in what he received - it definitely would have been easier. Instead, I watched a little boy trying to be excited about what was under the tree, yet was doing all he could to hold it together. His lower lip was quivering -tears were filling his eyes. It was pitiful. For a moment, part of me regretted the decision. But I knew in my heart we had done the right thing. In fact, I had prayed about it and there was no peace in my heart over buying a PS3.


After the initial shock, Will got excited about his new toys and began playing with them. Later however, he resolved to buy a PS3 with his own money.

At our Christmas celebrations later in the day with extended family, Will received gift cards and money for Christmas. (For him, there couldn't have been a better gift.) When we got home, he eagerly counted his money plus what he had in his piggy bank. He lacked $40 from having enough to meet his goal!



Talk about a boy on a mission - With a little creative maneuvering (I bought his $30 Walmart card he rec'd 6 mos ago.) and extra chores - he had enough money to buy a PS3! Will was beside himself with joy!



This afternoon, Tim drove Will and a friend to Target where he cashed in his gift cards and the remainder of cash in his piggy bank. He came home and proudly announced he had it! The little techie boy hooked it up himself. Truly, a memorable moment.



Now I know why God moved on our hearts not to get a PS3 - Another reminder, that if we'll stay in sync with God, following His lead, He'll do far more than we could have asked for. What if I would have bought the silly thing despite my lack of peace? I would have missed out on God showing Himself to this sweet little boy. And Will would have missed out on God transforming disappointment to one of the most memorable events of his life thus far.

Today was a red-letter day in the Furman house. This is a memory I don't want lost on the pages of everyday ordinary life. I think I'll record it now in my Keepsake Journal!

Make it a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment