Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Value of Alone Time

Christmas Tip #7
If you have children, grandchildren, nieces or nephews, host a birthday party for Jesus! Make a cake or cupcakes - don't forget the candles! You can even buy helium filled balloons and have the children release their balloons to Jesus at the end of the party.

Luke 1:26-28
"...God sent the angel Gabriel, to a virgin named Mary... The angel went to her and said, "Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you."

I must confess, I am having the hardest time cultivating quiet blocks of time into my day lately. I've been getting up for my quiet time - but the rest of my day has been a free-for-all. For instance: carpool. I used to arrive early to take advantage of those few precious quiet moments. Lately they've been filled with phone calls. Even while scooting around town, I'm distracted bypolitical radio, music, or I'm returning calls that I often ignore while in my office - trying to get them in before my children get home from school. (Once they get home from school + a new puppy named Jake - it's game on!) Late in the evenings it's political TV.

As I was studying today's lesson, I realized that if this is not for anybody else - it's for me. God showed me something very profound tucked into the these 3 little Scriptures: When Gabriel came to visit Mary, she was alone. She wasn't with her Mama chit-chatting about the latest family gossip, she wasn't in the local Starbucks, she wasn't on her crackberry, I mean blackberry. She was alone. I wonder what she was doing when she was interrupted by Gabriel? I wonder where her thoughts were. Don't forget - she was in the midst of planning a wedding. Weddings were huge deals back then. Quite often, the whole town would be invited. (Can you imagine?!) Yet we see that Mary valued quiet, alone moments in her day despite the hectic-ness her circumstances mandated.

Not only did Mary value quiet, but God was about to tell her something profound. How often do I miss what God wants to share with me because the radio's blaring? Or because I won't get off the phone long enough for Him to share a profound thought? A direction He has for me? An encouragement He has for me? I'm not trying to be crude - but God often interrupts my thoughts in the shower. (Can't talk on a cell phone in the shower!) He's given me great ideas for future projects while rinsing the shampoo out of my hair. One time, He comforted me when I thought the deterioration of my daughter's disease was my fault. In the shower that morning, He brought to mind the Sunday school lesson I had taught to my little 1st graders that past Sunday. (As I share these intimate details of my life, I hope you see the practicality and kindness of our loving God! He's an everyday God, not a once a week God. And by the way, my daughter is better.)

I don't know about you, but today, I'm drawing a line in the sand. Please know, I'm not talking about riding around in silence or never talking on your cell phone, but I'm talking about balance. I personally am out of balance. Instead of filling every quiet, alone moment with a phone call, email, TV, or radio, I'm looking at "quiet" differently today. Mary's example is one to follow. Take time to enjoy this amazing season. Cultivate quietness. There is no telling what the Lord may share with you...

Food for thought: I wonder if God would have moved on to someone else if He couldn't have gotten Mary's attention???

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment