Monday, December 20, 2010

When Making Big Decisions...

Christmas Tip #11:

Don't wait until Christmas Eve to wrap your gifts. Wrap them as you purchase them. This will prevent a possible stress-meltdown later in the week!


Matthew 1:20

"But after he had considered this (divorcing Mary), an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, "Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit."


Have you ever been faced with a big decision and didn't know what to do? Afraid of making the wrong decision because either way - the consequences would be huge?


In today's reading, Joseph was faced with with a big decision. Because Mary and Joseph were engaged, Mary's apparent unfaithfulness carried a severe social stigma. According to Jewish law, he could divorce her or turn her over to authorities to be stoned to death. Joseph, wanting desperately to do the right thing, did what seemed most logical - he decided to "break the engagement quietly so as not to disgrace her publicly." (v19 NLT)

What happens next is a truth that I carry in my heart almost every time I have a decision to make. Joseph was doing the best he could do. He did what seemed most logical. Yet we see that most logical - isn't always God's path. So in His amazing mercy, God intervened and redirected his steps.

Proverbs 3:5-6 says: Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

I used to think that God would sit in heaven and shake His head in disappointment every time I made a bad decision. Yet, nothing could be further from the truth. He loves you and I so much - that if we will just acknowledge Him in every decision - He'll make sure we get on the right path.
How do you acknowledge Him?
  • I look up and say, "Lord, what do I do?"
  • I'm on the lookout in my quiet time for a Word from Scripture directing either way;
  • I'm looking at common sense logistics (yet not relying completely on what's logical - )
  • I'm also looking for peace in my heart.
  • Once a decision is made - I'm on the lookout for God's confirmation or evidence of red flags.
The next time you have a decision to make, remember Joseph and be encouraged. God loves us so much - that He'll redirect our path if we've made the wrong decision. Isn't that comforting?!!! God is so awesome. His mercies are new everyday. We just have to be pliable to that new direction...

No comments:

Post a Comment