Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Me?

Christmas Tip #8 -

At your upcoming gatherings, consider asking your guests to share how God has worked in their lives over the last year. Go around the room - allow those who desire the opportunity to share.

I had a party specifically for this purpose on Monday @ lunch. Despite my lack of hospitality skills (I do not have that gift!), the party was a blessing to all who came. One particular guest emailed me the next day to say that she "was still soaring!" When Jesus is the center of your party - it'll always be a hit!


Luke 1:27

"...God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a village in Galilee, to a virgin named Mary."


If you've read this blog over the last 2 days, you must be thinking, "this Scripture again? Move on..." Oh friend, this is the power of God's Word - it says so much with so few words. I've loved learning more and more about Mary. I've been able to relate to her - I hope you have too!
Another aspect of Mary's life that I love is that she was young, poor and female. In that culture, a female was not highly regarded. But we see that God is not swayed by cultural norms. He uses women to do the profound. To the human eye, Mary seems an unlikely candidate for such an important assignment. But God saw what others did not see. He saw her heart. And God used her to do the profound.

Do you feel like your ability, experience, education (or lack of education), or background makes you an unlikely candidate for God's service? I have. I live in an area surrounded by lots of scientists, universities, educators and thriving business people. My own husband, in my opinion, is brilliant. Sometimes his mind intimidates me. I'm a very common, average, ordinary woman. I had to bust my rear-end in school just to maintain a "B" average. It did not come easy to me. And at times, I feel like I'm blonder than I pay to be! Often when someone tells a joke, I have to get further clarity to understand the punch line! So I LOVE the fact that God uses the simple and the ordinary to do His work. Listen to the further insight we receive from 1 Corinthians 1:26-27.

"Brothers, [sisters!], think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise. God chose the weak to shame the strong..."

God doesn't just use the pretty people, the smart people, or the wealthy people. He will use the ordinary! Perhaps, like Mary, you're wondering, "how in the world can God use a woman like me?" The answer is given to us in verse 35: "The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the most High will overshadow you." When God gives us an assignment, it's not by our might, nor will it be done by our power, but it will be done by His Spirit. All we have to do is be the willing vessel.

If you belong to God - you were born with a divine purpose. "Me?" you may ask. Yes, you! But you must cultivate a quiet time in your day and listen for His voice. (John 15:5 - with Him we can bear much fruit. Apart from Him, we can do nothing.) He'll use you to do the profound in your family, in your sphere's of influence, and in your corner of the world. HE WANTS TO! He just needs your cooperation. Mary was willing, even if it meant a life interrupted. (That's what we'll look at tomorrow!)


Be blessed!

1 comment:

  1. Ya'll, I have to tell you that Tara is far from ordinary. But here's the amazing thing...she's extraordinary because of her love for an extraordinary God. Love you, Tara! Thank you for sharing what God's putting on your heart.

    ReplyDelete