Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Praying for Their Social Relationships

Proverbs 4:4-5

"Lay hold of my Words with all your heart; keep My commands and you will live. Get wisdom, get understanding."

Another area for us to pray the heart of God for our children is for their social relationships.

There is so much to say in this area, especially as it relates to their future spouses. But I'll hold off until next week before I dive further into this. Next week is 4th of July week. Even though you may be on vacation, you'll want to hang with me. The posts next week will be dealing with their possible future spouses. They're really important. NOW is the time to be laying the ground work. You will not want to miss the coming posts. In fact, you'll want to share them with others.


In the mean time, take time to pray:
  • That God will protect your children from the evil one in every area of their lives - spiritually, emotionally and physically (John 17:15)

  • That they will have respect for authority (Romans 13:1)

  • Pray that they would obey their parents (Proverbs 1:8; Col. 3:20)

Children will learn obedience to God when they are first learning obedience to their parents. If your children do not obey you, chances are, they will not have a heart of obedience for God in the future.

  • Pray that they would love their siblings (Matthew 5:22)
A girlfriend of mine taught me to pray that they would become best friends. Right now @ 9 and 10, that seems like an impossibility. But all things are possible with God! Why would we not pray this? Let's ask our big God for big things!
  • Pray that they will desire the right kind of friend and be protected from the wrong ones (Prov. 1:10-11)

I've even begun to pray for the pruning of friendships that I'm sensing are not good. (John 15) Equally important is that we know their friends and their parents.

  • That they would have an equally yoked spouse. (2 Cor. 6:14 - more on this next week)

  • That they will be hedged in so they cannot find their way to wrong people (Job 1:10)
Sexual abuse and molestation is rampant. It makes me cringe and, honestly, it makes me wish we lived in a castration society.

I used to think that molestation happened far away, to other people, certainly not here. But I continue to meet more and more woman who have become victims at the hands of a so called
''loved one," or a neighbor, or a friend. It breaks my heart to think that one of you reading this today could identify. Oh, precious sister. I am so sorry.

I even have a friend, whose 6 year old son was sexually molested by a 15 year old boy. We cannot live in denial. Watch your children. Know who they are with at all times. My husband and I have a rule that Caroline cannot spend the night - even at her cousin's house - when her male cousins are having friends over to spend the night. We may be too guarded, but we're talking about our baby. We're not taking any chances.

We are going on a cruise for Thanksgiving this year with our extended family. One family member mentioned that the great thing about a cruise is that your kids can't get lost, that they are on the boat somewhere - that you won't have to be as diligent in keeping your eye on them.

My response? "Oh no. Have you ever heard of a pedophile?" They looked at me like I had 3 heads. But, I don't care. We have to be wise. Know where your children are and who they are around.

We'll finish up our practical prayer prompts tomorrow-

Have a great day:)

No comments:

Post a Comment