Friday, June 10, 2011

My Anniversary

Sorry for how dark this picture is!


Today, June 10Th, is our anniversary! Sixteen years ago today, Tim and I got married in the church I grew up in.

I love sharing how we met. We met when I was in the 8th grade; he was in the 9Th. Back then, we only had 2 Junior Highs in town. He went to East Cary, and I, West Cary. I happened to be attending a Valentine's Dance with a friend at East Cary. While there, Tim approached and asked me to dance. I told him no. He then proceeded to ask me... "Don't you know who I am?" Looking back, it was hilarious! I was hooked immediately!

We have not been together since 8th grade, but off and on until after college - when he proposed. He proposed on January 24 and we were married June 10Th. I was ready to live with him, but my mother would not stand for it. (I'm so glad she held to her guns, but at the time, it annoyed me)

For 4 months, I was consumed with "wedding." Looking back, I should have been more consumed with learning how to have a healthy marriage than "the wedding!" I do not believe that healthy marriages are automatic. Any time you have 2 people with 2 agendas, there is bound to be eventual conflict. It takes work and effort by both parties. It takes sacrifice and a lot of love, even when you do not "feel" like loving.

One of the things I've learned over these 16 years is that love is not a noun, but a verb. I hope my husband feels this way too!

A few years ago, my friend Suzi advised me to include our children in our anniversary celebration. This helps them to value marriage and commitment. It also establishes a tradition that they hopefully will one day practice as well. So tonight, Tim will cook a great meal (he's a much better cook). We will eat on the china that I rarely use, we will look at our wedding pictures and watch our wedding video together, and then, we will eat dessert! (My kids' favorite:)) Tomorrow night will be date night! My mother-in-law offered to have the kids spend the night with them. Woohoo!

I hope you have not minded the personal blogs this week. Next week, we'll continue where we left off as we battle for the hearts and souls of our children.


Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary, my friend!!

    What precious family memories!! So glad for the blessings of your trip.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy anniversary beautiful friend! We have done that same anniversary celebration with our children and they we all love it. Many blessings your way and so glad you all had a wonderful beach week too! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! :) Do we get to see a wedding picture? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary! Thank you for sharing with us... I love the idea of including the kids with us...

    ReplyDelete