Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Sharpening Our Children - Practical Suggestions

"Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons [children] born in one's youth."


Today's and tomorrow's post are full of suggestions for building the spiritual foundation of our children. This is far more important than ANYTHING we will ever do for them. When we build their spiritual foundation, most likely it's what's going to keep their pants zipped when push comes to shove. It's going to determine how they respond to peer pressure, even to what kind of mate that they choose. We only have a very short time to impact their lives. I personally intend to make the most of it.


This came from Cathy, a mother of 4 young children. One of whom has had a brain tumor for the last few years.

We use everyday experiences to explain the truths of God. For example, when we are feeding the ducks, we'll talk about how God provides for us just like we are providing for the ducks.

Or in every challenge or triumph, we try to point to God and how He uses things for our good. Kids need to see examples of God in their little worlds. It makes those Bible stories and truths real to them.

This came from Dina, mother of 4 and a home school mom.

We have family devotions every morning and then we pray ACTS (Adoration, Confession, and Thanksgiving). We all take turns. It is very, very humbling to confess my sins before them.

Worship, worship, and worship some more. Turn on the music in your home.

Many days I call out to Him, in their presence, "Jesus, I NEED YOU. My flesh wants to sin against my child and be harsh and angry. Give me YOUR eyes and YOUR agape love for them." Never once have I have left that place without peace, a new set of eyes, and fresh love for them.

Tricia, mother of 6 says:

I've started to be intentional about gathering my children around the breakfast table before we start our day. Over the cereal and the fruit, we pray for our day and enjoy sweet fellowship. If I've had my quiet time, I'll share something that I learned. We are not legalistic about it, but try to do it most everyday.

Also, our goal is to start and end the day well. It makes an overall impression of the day.

My husband loves to read Proverbs around the table after dinner.


Nancy, a mother of 4 grown children and a published author, says:

I was 43 when God the Father came into my life. So I met with each of my children privately and apologized for anything I didn't do in a Christlike manner before I came to Christ. Would you believe that the Lord gave them spiritual amnesia?

They saw me praying. I prayed with them and still do by phone.

They witnessed the change in the way I respected their Daddy. Our sons and daughters really began to respect him so much more after that.

When they were teens, I began saying, "Yes...because you are so special." I said this anytime they asked me to pick them up from school or help them in some way. Then when they were older teens, my NO meant NO! Why? "Because you are so special."

I can remember telling my girls that they could go to a neighborhood party, but had to be home by 11:00pm. When it was 11:02pm, I went after them. I drove to the party and sent someone in to get them. They came out and were very upset, saying, "Why would you embarrass us like that?" I said, "The deadline was 11:00, and it's now 11:20. I came for you because you are so special."

I also intervened if they were not dressed modestly.

Just about every mother who wrote in mentioned modesty and dress. We'll be talking more about this in future posts!

Hope this helps! More tomorrow :)

1 comment:

  1. These are such precious suggestions. Thank you, each and every one of you for sharing these truths with us. May the Lord reward you all as you help along not only your own family, but mine as well and I am sure many others too.

    ReplyDelete