Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Sharpening Our Children - Part 2

Proverbs 22:6

"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."

Let's continue with practical suggestions for laying the spiritual foundation for your children.

Patti said:
  • Teach them by example that God is a priority in everyday life

  • Encourage, encourage, encourage

  • That it's okay not to follow after others because those other kids may not be following after God

  • To be lovingly expressive towards their father, so our sons and daughters can learn what healthy expression of love and affection is towards one another

Fayeson said:
  • Have Bible studies with your children's friends. In middle school - we called it Terrific Tuesdays. We would gather close friends for fun, food, and Bible study after school.

  • In the summer, we would do backyard Bible school for friends and neighbors. Most moms wanted a break for themselves and were willing to allow their children to come.

  • At Easter and Christmas, we would have neighborhood parties. On these occasions, we would give the Truth of the holiday. I know that some young children were saved during that time!


My friend Laura advised me to do this, so I've put it into practice:

Recently, I've been dealing with unkind things coming out of Will's mouth. So we went to the Word and memorized Ephesians 4:29 - "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths but only what is helpful for building others up..." Before certain events, we'll say this verse together. I've had him write it down in his prayer journal, memorize it, and put it into practice.


What issue are you facing with your child? Take them to the Word to a passage that addresses that behavior. Have them write it, memorize it, and apply it.

I try to never take them to the Word when I'm angry or in the heat of the moment. God has pricked my heart on this. I think they will associate my anger with God and begin thinking that He is an angry God. (Remember, we represent God to our kids - good or bad.)

On the flip side, when your children do something really good, take them to the Word and commend them. (I should be doing more of this!) This is the Word coming alive in their everyday lives!


What about outside, negative influences? You know, other kids teaching your kids things you'd rather them not learn. I asked my sister about this the other day. She told me that a child at VBS last week had informed her 10 year old daughter that Demi Lavato was in rehab. Her daughter asked, "what's rehab?" Oh, not a subject Heather was ready to educate Ashton on, but had to.

"Our children are going to be influenced by others. We need to keep the lines of communication open so that they will talk to us. And when they do, we need to arrow pray, educate, and take them to the Word with the issue if we can.

Last thought:

I'm trying to teach my children to take everything to the Lord in prayer - even baseball! Before Will's baseball game a few weeks ago, he was nervous. I pulled him aside and said, "you have the Power of the Universe at your disposal. He lives inside of you. Ask Him for help. When you step up to the plate, say, 'help me Lord.' Watch and see what He will do!"

That particular game, he got on base every time. At the end of the game, he said, "Mom, I prayed."

What a sweet life lesson. I'm still reminding him to pray. The games I don't remind him, because I've forgotten, he doesn't play as well. Prayer makes a difference!


I hope and pray these practical parenting tips over the last few days have been helpful. Girls, we don't want our children's faith to be an add-on to their life. I want my children's faith to be their life.



So with that said, next post:


"Powerful prayer for your children"

1 comment:

  1. Amen! Amen! Amen! I want my children faith (and my own) to be fleshed out in my life in all I do and not just an add on or something I do once or twice a week. I desire them to have an honest open relationship with our Heavenly Father and I think these posts have really opened my eyes to just how important my job as mom is. It isn't the pastor's job, or a Sunday School Teacher's job, but my job. And as a worker in our church, that has opened my eyes to what a precious gift I have been given in teaching children.

    Bless you my dear friend. Bless your family too!

    ReplyDelete