Monday, June 13, 2011

The Most Important Thing we can do for our Children

Psalm 145:4-5

"One generation will commend your works to another; they will tell of your mighty acts.

They will speak of the glorious splendor of your majesty...

They will tell of the power of your awesome works...

They will celebrate your abundant goodness..."

In this series that I began a few weeks ago, "Are we giving our children to the devil?" I've vowed to fight for the heart and soul of my children. I hope you have too. My friend, Tiffany, sent some thoughts that were too good not to share on today's post!

So with that in mind - in your opinion, what is the most important thing we can do for our children?

Don't answer quickly. And don't just rattle off a politically correct answer. Think about it. The Bible says that our behavior shows us where our hearts are. (I can't remember where that one is - will look for it. I think it's in John.) My friend Tiffany sent me a few examples that were too good not to share.

So in other words, what does your behavior reveal about your mindset in parenting as being of utmost importance? Are you more focused on:
  • Your child's nutrition - making sure they only eat organic: no nitrates, no hormone induced foods?

  • How your child dresses? Mom's with girls can be the worst. (Not trying to step on toes - I have a girl too!)

  • How smart they are? Are you consumed with their academic achievement?

  • Their athletic ability?

  • How they look physically?

  • What college they will attend?

  • How well-rounded they are socially?

  • Making sure they are in the right social group?

Seriously, where is your focus?

Mine, on any given day can be totally misdirected and misguided unless I am intentional. To be honest, there are some days where survival - making it through - is all I can manage.

Now please don't get me wrong. Most everything on the above list is a good thing, none of which in itself is bad. Yet we must - we must - we must (I am not stuttering, this is important!) We must be focused on being sure that our children have a solid spiritual foundation. It should mean more to us than how they are dressed, how well rounded they are, what things they have, how smart they are, what college they attend etc... It should be the most important thing we do for them.

Since I'm a "how-to" girl, meaning I learn best when someone tells me or shows me how to do something, that's where I'll focus next week. How do we make sure our children have a solid spiritual foundation? What practical things can we do?

I don't have all the answers, so I'd LOVE to hear from you. Either leave a comment, or CONTACT ME and share your thoughts. Remember, practical and simple are good. Don't think your idea isn't spiritual enough!


What are you doing that seems to be working? Contact me and let me know!



Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh, this post hit home girl! Immediately I thought the most important thing was showing them authentic faith, which means my walk needs to be evident in my everyday life... Am I making sense?? I want them to see how to live a life that walks closely to the Lord through ME. I can remember my pastor once saying in a sermon "If someone asked your children who is your spiritual role model, there answer should be YOU! Not a Sunday school teacher or a friend's parents"... Your life should have evidence that you walk witht he Father daily... I think that is what I am striving towards, being intentional to point them to Christ, rather than live in survival mode.

    Beautiful post! Thank you my dear friend...

    ReplyDelete