Monday, June 20, 2011

Sharpening Our Arrows with Quiet Time

Psalm 127:3-4

"Children are a reward from the Lord. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons [children] born in one's youth."

The Bible describes children as "arrows."

The most important thing we can do to the "arrows" the Lord gives us (be it physical or spiritual offspring), is to sharpen them by laying a solid spiritual foundation. As we learned last week, a solid spiritual foundation is more important than how well they are dressed. It's more important than academics, or their possible athletic ability, or even what college they may eventually attend.

Yet, to me, my children's quiet times are one of the biggest battles I fight. I realize there is more to sharpening arrows than just a quiet time and we'll talk about that over the next few posts. But a quiet time is foundational. As of today, my personal quiet time is solidly nailed down. Yet, why do I struggle so with theirs?

So I went to the expert - my sister, Heather. She is the Director of Children's ministry at her church. But far more than the title she holds, she has fruit to back up her expertise. Not only do I see fruit in her own 3 children, but in the MANY children she shepherds on Wednesday and Sunday morning. Their church is busting at the seams especially in one age group: preschool through fifth grade. I'm convinced it's because she makes church fun! She makes Jesus fun! Parents typically are drawn to where their children are happy.

So today at the pool, I interviewed her and took notes on my iphone. I've been begging her to send her thoughts to me - but she has not made the time - so I cornered her! (Sorry, had to work in that dig! She's rolling her eyes as she reads this!) But here are a few of her thoughts...

Tara: What are your thoughts on establishing a quiet time for your children?

Heather: It is just as important for them to have their quiet time as it is for you to have your quiet time. It's teaching them a life habit of seeking Jesus for everything. You just have to teach them how to do it.

Tara: So what do you do?

Heather: I've given my own children and the children I teach a devotional and a notebook. (They already have Bibles.)

Tara: Then what do you do?

Heather: In the notebook or journal, I have them write the date, the Bible verse, and the title on the top page. Then I have them write at least one thing they learned. And then I have them write a way we can put that into action. In other words, how do we apply this in our everyday lives?

Tara: Do they do this on their own or do you do this with them?

Heather: If they are older and trained, then they can do it on their own. My younger ones still need my help.

But even with the older ones, you still need to follow up and ask questions. Otherwise, you are just forming a habit and it's something they are merely checking off their list of things to do. So you need to follow up and ask questions. Personally, I like knowing what they are reading.

Tara: What time of day do you do this?

Heather: I encourage them to do it at the beginning of the day, before the day starts. Do you remember what Fayeson (a former Bible mentor of Heather's and mine) used to say? "Get with Jesus before the band starts to play." (In other words, before the noise of the day begins.) The same is true for our children."

But anytime is good as long as they are doing it.

Tara: How long does it take?

Heather: Usually 20-30 minutes. Writing it out takes longer with younger children. They can go as quick as they want, but I want them to retain what they are reading and learn how to apply it to everyday life.

Tara: Any other thoughts?

Heather: Yes. Pray. Pray for that time. Pray that they would have a desire to spend time reading their Bibles and that they would meet Him during that time.

I hope this helps you. I know it's helped me. Today, my children got into big trouble. We will be studying verses on kindness this evening!


Next Post: Sharpening our Arrows - Practical suggestions

(Thank you to all who responded. I've learned so much from your responses. I'll be sharing them over the next few posts.)

1 comment:

  1. I have read this post about 4 times now, each time letting it soak in. I must admit, recently I have begun to make sure my quiet time is taken care of but I'll admit, I don't do the best at working with my children on theirs. I have started things many of times with the best of intentions only to let it be put aside when life's busyness comes. This post and your sweet sister really spoke to my heart that I need to MAKE the time the help my children grow in their spiritual walks.

    One question I did have, was what do you do with toddlers? Those children who don't write... or whose attention may not be long. I have a 2 and a half year old (along with a 6,8 and 11 year old)

    Thank you (and Heather) so VERY much!

    ReplyDelete