Thursday, February 3, 2011

What if He's Wrong?

Genesis 12:11-13
As Abraham was about to enter Egypt, he said to his wife Sarah, "I know what a beautiful woman you are.
When the Egyptians see you, they will say, 'This is his wife.' They they will kill me but let you live.
Say you are my sister, so that I will be treated well for your sake and my life will be spared because of you."

After yesterday's post, I wonder how many of you have come back?! Death to self is not easy. I'll give you a few ways to make it easier in a few days. But today, I hope to give you assurance - Biblical assurance before we move on to "Pill #2." You may want to pull out your Bible for today's lesson. I'll be referring to Genesis 12:11-20.

So after you've held your tongue or perhaps you've respectfully disagreed with a decision he's about to make - what do you do? What if you know with all your heart - he's wrong? Do you tell him, "When you blow it, don't say I didn't tell you so." Or do you fight to end?

Though it's rare, there have been times that I totally thought my husband was wrong and I told him so. (respectfully) The first time this happened, I was beside myself with frustration. Yet pay attention to what the Lord said and how He told me... Often He'll speak to us in the midst of everyday activities.

I was in the middle of giving my children a bath - this was back when I was learning death to self. And all of a sudden, Sarah and Abraham popped into my mind. (Today's reading.) In my opinion, Abraham threw Sarah under the bus to save his sorry rear-end. She was placed in Pharaoh's castle and was left completely vulnerable to whatever anybody wanted to do to her.

Yet if you keep reading, God supernaturally protected Sarah. (v17-20) Sarah died to self as it related to Abraham. Sarah submitted to Abraham's wishes. (Don't start throwing cyber tomatoes at me. We'll talk about this in a few days as well.) All the while, he was dead wrong in taking them to Egypt and having her lie about her true identity.

Let this encourage you as it did me so many years ago. In fact, I can testify that during that time period, God supernaturally protected us and delivered us. Every time I wanted to say, "I told you so," I replaced it with, "Lord, I trust you to give him wisdom." I also made it a matter of daily prayer. God honored this. There is no doubt in my mind, that God was good to Tim for my sake. (v16) Sounds egotistical - but it's there! Read it.

So when he's wrong, dear sister, take it to Jesus. Resist the temptation to sing the "I told you so" song. What God does for one (me), He is willing to do for another (you).

Die to self and leave the consequences to Jesus. This is truly when we start walking by faith and not by sight.

Happy Dying!

No comments:

Post a Comment