Thursday, February 24, 2011

Being Wise About Temptation

1 Corinthians 7:3-5

The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband.
The wife's body does not belong to her alone but also to her husband. In the same way, the husband's body does not belong to him alone but also to his wife.
Do not deprive each other except by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you.


I must admit, the first time I read this Scripture (years ago), the hair stood up on the back of my neck. It sounded oppressive to me. I wanted to omit this portion of Scripture from the Bible. My logic was that this was for a past culture - certainly not for today's woman.


Over the years as I've grown to know the character of God, my thinking has changed. It was meant for today's woman and her marriage. God is our loving heavenly Father. No matter what your earthly father has been to you, God has our best interests at heart. He only wants what is best for us. He NEVER wants to oppress us or make us feel less than who we really are - daughters of the King. Princesses of the Most High God. Scripture also says we are dearly loved.


In this passage, God is giving us the recipe for a successful marriage - sex being forefront and center. And building on what we studied yesterday, He's showing us the IMPORTANCE of intimacy in our marriages. Notice the warning, "Satan will tempt" your husband if you are depriving him. So let me ask you...

Do you hold sex over your husband as a power play? That if he's good enough or helpful enough or deserving - you'll reward him?

Oh girlfriend, we have to be shrewd and smart. Wise - not unwise. The "tempter" is real. Satan wants your marriage to fail. Satan wants to tempt your man with any hot babe that walks by. We become shrewd and smart by making ourselves available to our husband on a regular basis. By not depriving him. By learning his "needs" schedule and accommodating him with what we can handle.
So I have to ask the question - don't forget - I'm all about life change - not warm/fuzzes.
What's the need schedule???
This is important. Find it and stick to it. Don't purposefully deprive him.

Whew, I'm glad this week is over!

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment