Monday, July 22, 2013

When we Refuse to Forgive Ourselves

Romans 8:1
"There is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus."

I recently met a woman who was in the midst of adopting a baby from Puerto Rico.

When I asked why she chose Puerto Rico... She replied,  "There are too few babies available for adoption in the United States.  They are being aborted."

If you wear the invisible Scarlet letter of abortion, (or any other sin for that matter),  have you genuinely repented and allowed God to restore and redeem your failures?  

Genuine repentance is the first step to bringing complete and total forgiveness.  It all starts with repentance:

1 John 1:9, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 

Psalm 32:5, "Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity... and you forgave the guilt of my sin."

Don't hide anything from the Lord. Acknowledge it.  God promises the guilt is removed.  The sin is gone. God is ready to give us a fresh start! 
 
For many years, I muddled through life wearing my own scarlet letter from my shameful past.  Although God had forgive me, I had not been willing to forgive myself.
The problem with this mentality is pride (source: the enemy).  If Christ is willing to forgive us, who are we to say His sacrifice is not enough?  That our standard is higher? 
This is in essence what we are saying when we refuse to forgive ourselves.
Are you refusing to forgive yourself?  Girlfriend, listen to this truth: when we repent of our scarlet letter but still continue to wear it - it’s the enemy who’s keeping it there, not God.  
God wants to set you free[1]! He promises deliverance from the mess WE GET OURSELVES INTO!  However, we must fully cooperate with Him – on His terms – not ours. 
And when He says, "You are forgiven." You are forgiven. YOU ARE FREE!
Let me say it again,.  Allow it to seep into the deepest part of your being: 
YOU ARE FORGIVEN and
YOU ARE FREE!
I don’t wear an invisible scarlet letter anymore.  And every time the enemy tries to make me wear it by reminding me of my sin,  I’ve learned to take authority over that lying voice in Jesus’ name.  I tell him that I’m a daughter of the King – healed and restored with a God-ordained purpose.
There’s hope, girlfriend… Take off your scarlet letter and let’s start living afresh!
Exerts taken from Created for Purpose
See the Introduction,
Table of Contents and First Two days HERE


[1] Isaiah 61:1
 

No comments:

Post a Comment