Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Abortion: 5 Tips for the Believer

Ephesians 6:10
Be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power.

As it relates to the issue of abortion, what are we to do? 
Join the protesters? 
Call our government representatives? 

I can't answer those questions.  Only the Holy Spirit of God can direct and guide each of us according to our gifts and the passions He places within us.

However, based on the Bible and Jesus' lifestyle, I firmly believe each of us are to:

1. Resolve to stand firm.

Ground yourself on what God's Word says about this issue.   Refuse to allow yourself to be swayed by public opinion; what your family or friends think - but only on what God's Word says. 
"Put on the full armor of God, so you may be able to stand your ground."  Ephesians 6:13

2.  Resolve to walk in love.

Our mini-sermonettes are not very likely to sway those who believe differently.  (Only the Spirit of God.)  However, our love walk can cause a person to want to know the "reason for our hope." 

I cannot think of a single time that Jesus got irritated with people who thought differently.  (He did, however, get very irritated with the religious people.)    He was full of grace and truth.  He knew when to speak and when not to speak.  And when He did speak, His words were filled with power, causing the listener to want more.

We too can have the same impact.  Spending time with Jesus on a regular basis will give us the discernment of knowing when and when not to speak. 

3.  Remember the bigger picture.

This past weekend, the subject of politics came up at a party I was attending.  Ok, I brought up the subject as sometimes I just can't help myself as I have VERY strong views.  Somehow, the conversation began to "stir."  (You know what I mean?)  With all of my being I wanted to respond.  I wanted to zap.

But I could hear the Holy Spirit in my heart stirring.  I knew I was to keep my mouth shut - but to remember the bigger picture.  "There is a time to be silent and a time to speak." Ecc. 3:7

The bigger picture is not about being "right" on a political issue - even as it relates to abortion.  The bigger picture is someone coming to Christ as Savior.  Or a believer hungering to get into God's Word on a regular basis. 

THEN, the Holy Spirit can speak to that person.  And when HE speaks, a heart and a mind is changed.  Then a family is changed.  Then a generation is changed.

Walk in love.  Be listening for that still small voice.  ALWAYS remember the bigger picture. 

4. Regularly pray - 
  • For the eyes of believers to be opened. 
  • For our government officials who are standing firm.  (Especially men.)
Why do I say men?  Because let's be honest, a group of angry women are like swarming hornets.

Who are your state and national representatives?  Where do they stand on the issue?  Pray for them regularly - especially if they are standing firm.  If they are not, pray God will open their eyes to see TRUTH. 

If you live in North Carolina, these folks are standing firm. Pray for them to continue to strong, bold and courageous. : 

Governor:  Pat McCrory (I also pray for Texas Gov., Rick Perry.  He's been very bold with LOTS of pressure.
Lt. Gov.  Dan Forest
Representative:  Paul Stam, Apex
Representative:  Ruth Samuelson, Charlotte
(Just to name a few. I'm missing many)

5.  Receive Forgiveness

Many of you are living with the Scarlet Letter "A."  (Thank you, by the way for your letters.)  I can't help but notice the theme of some of your letters is an inability to forgive yourself.

We'll pick up here in my next post.

 
Great resource for receiving help learning "when to speak and when to be silent."
Click HERE



No comments:

Post a Comment