Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Is Abortion Wrong? Part 1

2 Corinthians 11:3
But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent's cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ.

Is abortion wrong?  After all, it's just a chunk of cells and if you have the procedure early on - it's not actually an abortion - but a medical procedure.  Problem solved!

For many years, these were lies I believed.

Now keep in mind - I was a believer.   In church each week.   Served in the church and in Bible Study.   Abortion was a political issue.  It was about a woman's right to choose for herself.  In my mind there was NO connection to God or the Bible

Today and tomorrow, I'll share how God shattered those lies.  After tomorrow, I pray you'll see - it's not a political issue in eyes of God.


Lie #1:  A woman should be able to choose for herself. 

After all, a woman should be able to dictate what happens with her body. 

God's Word says: "You are not your own; you were bought at a price.  Therefore honor God with your body."  1 Corinthians 6:20

Lie #2:  It's just a cluster of cells in the early stages.  
Second Month of Pregnancy

Well, the "it," as commonly referred, is a baby from early on.  I've had 2 children. I learned about my pregnancies during week 7 and 8.   Look at what's happening in the womb from Week 7-10 of Gestation:

  • Your baby becomes more baby-ish, losing her embryonic “tail”
  • Your baby's eyes are facing forward
  • Your baby has little arms, legs, hands and feet
  • Your baby is developing neurons she'll use her entire life
  • Your baby makes her first movements
  • Your baby will grow to about 2 inches long*

  • *Information found from a secular source

    God says:  "Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you."  Jeremiah 1:5

    It's a BABY - not an "it."

    Lie #3: Abortion is not really a big deal if performed early.

    I used to think, 'If it's done early in pregnancy, then it really doesn't count as a technical abortion.  It's just a medical procedure at that point.   After all, it's just a big cluster of cells...   Right?'

    God says:  "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb."
    My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."  Psalm 139:13

    God knew us, saw us, and began knitting us together from the moment of conception.  From the time the sperm penetrates the egg cell, a new human organism comes into existence.  This is a scientific fact - not just a religious claim.  The heart begins to beat at 21 or 22 days.

    We should be careful before forming opinions based on what we think or how we feel or the opinion of others.    If we call ourselves believers in Jesus Christ, our beliefs and convictions should be based upon what God's Word says.  

    After all, everyone of us will stand before Him one day.  "So the, each of us will give an account of Himself to God."  Romans 14:12

    Part 2 tomorrow.

    1 comment:

    1. Are you saying you were for abortion and then just reading these lines in the Bible changed your mind? All those years you were a believer you never looked to God for the answer and found it in a few lines? I find that hard to believe. I believe only personal experience changes minds.

      ReplyDelete