Thursday, May 5, 2011

When God is No Where to be Found... A Mother's Day Tribute Part 2

Will in the neonatal intensive care unit at UNC - finally out of pain.


John 5:17


Jesus said to them, "My Father is always at His work to this very day, and I too, am working." (That means today too!)


We were told that the surgery would be an hour. After three and a half hours, the pediatric anesthesiologist appeared in the waiting room and then finally the surgeon. It was almost 10:00pm. He led us to an empty to room and proceeded to tell us of his surprise upon inserting the scope through Will's belly.


Will's intestine had twisted and had adhered to the abdominal wall. This was cutting off the supply of blood and oxygen - prohibiting circulation and the bowel was dead. It was caught (praise Jesus!) before it perforated and was carefully and gently removed. Perforation would have released poisonous toxins throughout his body. Forty centimeters were cut out of Will's intestines leaving him with a 6 inch incision in his abdominal area. This prohibited him from walking or even eating until huge milestones were reached.




My sweet husband stayed with Will in the NICU that night. I went home with my parents who had been with us all day and spent the night at their house. The next morning, my mother dropped me off at the hospital @ 6am. I sent my dear man home for much needed sleep and sat holding Will's hand as he slept.




Was this a dream? My life was so normal a week ago. And now, I'm in the NICU, looking at my son connected to multiple machines and tubes everywhere - including his nose. I had almost forgotten - it was Mother's Day. Tears began streaming down my face as I held Will's hand. What kind of Mother's Day was this?


And all of a sudden it occurred to me. If God had taken the pain away on Friday - as I had asked - as I had begged Him to do - I may not have been sitting in the NICU that Mother's Day morning. I trembled at the thought of where else I would have been.


In that moment, I began praising God for the pain! Thank you Jesus for the pain. Thank you that even though I could not see You working in one of my darkest hours - You were at work - Bringing healing through pain.


What God had dropped into my heart 2 days prior was that He works all things (even pain) for good to those who love Him and are called according to His purposes. (Roman 8:28) I had experienced a fresh perspective to what that verse actually means. He does work all things for good to those who love Him! Even a little boy vomiting out of control and in relentless pain for HOURS on end. I know it may sound cliche, but I truly had experienced a Mother's Day miracle. The pain, that I thought was my greatest enemy, was actually, my best friend. This was the greatest Mother's Day ever - one I will never forget.


I hope this encourages you if you are in pain - perhaps it's not physical pain, but emotional or spiritual. Perhaps you are in anguish. Hold on - dear friend. God is always at work. If you belong to Him and are living for Him as best you know how to - Romans 8:28 is for you too.


Take time today to praise Him and thank Him for the pain. Thank Him for being at work in your circumstances even though you may not see Him at work. Ask Him to open your eyes to see His presence in your midst - He will! (Remember, the ER nurse, Michelle, an open door at the ER, a Starbucks - just when I really needed it!) These were God sightings. He'll do the same for you!


Will remained @ UNC Hospital for a total of 8 days. During that week, God would teach me another huge life lesson. I'll share it with you tomorrow!

Thank you for all your comments - on the blog and to me personally. They bless my soul!









No comments:

Post a Comment