Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Depravity Doesn't Just Happen

If you are just joining us, welcome! I am doing a parenting series called:

"Are we Giving our Children to the Devil." This is the fifth post in the series. Feel free to go back and read the previous posts!

James 1:14-16


...but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed.

Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death. Don't be deceived, my dear brothers.

The depravity of our culture and the depravity of our children do not just happen over night. It's subtle. It's starts small; almost "innocent" like. And then it builds till it reaches a crescendo. Clearly from scripture, sin has a cycle. (This can be applied to us as well!) Let's look carefully at the cycle:


1. Desire leads to enticement.
2. Enticement leads to the birth of sin.
3. Sin is conceived.
4. Sin grows.
5. Sin fully-grown, gives birth to death. (Yes, possible physical death, death of relationships, marriages,trust, etc...)

So what is our part as parents? We have to be listening and watching. We have to ask for the Holy Spirit's help in reading between the lines. This recently just happened with my son, Will.

Without giving specifics, I was sensing a stirring in my spirit. I can't really explain it - I just a lacked peace towards Will. So I asked the Lord to show me if there was anything I needed to see. The Bible says, that the Holy Spirit will guide you into all truth. (John 16:13)


Within days of uttering this prayer, Caroline told on her brother - for several things that she had been scared to tell me. The Lord allowed me to see a desire and an enticement being born in Will. It had not led to sin - but this is the direction we were headed unless there was intervention.


I shared what I had learned with my husband - and we had a calm and rational, discussion between the 3 of us. But you see, even though it's technically 'over' - it's really not. Since the Lord has opened my eyes to a potential desire that oculd lead to sin in future years, my job now is to PRAY. And to be watching and listening. The Bible says we are to be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves. (See Matthew 10:16)

What does this mean? It means praying against this "thing" in his life - listening to his conversations when he least expects - watching his interactions when he least expects... Paying attention to his demeanor. Alert to his vocabulary and music. And above all, listening to the Holy Spirit. Do you see?

Now let me tell you - it would be easier to ignore this. Much easier to shove it under a rug and hope for the best. In fact, if I shared the specifics, you might think that my husband I over- reacted.

But I'm not giving my child to the devil. And you see, if I ignore what the Lord has allowed me to see - than I am inadvertently opening the door for the enemy to work in his life. As parents we have to be willing to do the hard things. We have to do our part and trust the Lord with the rest. Our part - is listening to the Holy Spirit and being attuned to our children. And not parenting out of convenience. (Ouch, I can be so guilty of this.)

If you are a born again believer, than you have the Holy Spirit of God living within you. And if you are willing to have eyes to see - the Holy Spirit will open your eyes as well. Sadly, what I often find, are parents who do not want eyes to see. And this is even in the Christian school.

Don't be deceived dear sisters. I told you this would be a fight!


Can't wait to share tomorrow - I have a big surprise - make sure you tune in!

1 comment:

  1. Oh how hard is it to miss the Holy Spirit's leading you, especially when you are going in 100 different directions. Our children need for us to slow down and teach them, ministering to them through our words and actions. I know I need to be "present" more in my day to day life, rather than caught up in my to do list. God entrusted them and their Spiritual upbringing to our care. What an amazing honor!

    Thank you for sharing that though it is easier sometimes to sweep things under the rug and hope they go away, sin is ready to give way.

    Thank you my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete