Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Practical Parenting Tips

Titus 2:3-4


"...older women...teach what is good. Train the younger women to love their husbands and children..."


God has richly blessed me with the counsel of very wise and godly women. After posting "best advice" the other day, the Lord prompted me to ask them to join the discussion! Their responses are so encouraging and practical!

I don't want to overload you with information, so I'll give it in bite-sized chunks over the next few posts. Pray and ask the Lord to impress upon your heart what He' d have you apply.



What are their secrets? I'll start with the practical:

1. The computer needs to be in a well-traveled area (such as the kitchen). A place where parental eyes are observant. There are too many dangers on the Internet these days.

2. Confiscate IPods or IPads before settling in for the night. (I would add phones as well.)

3. Know their friends and what their friends are doing. 1 Cor. 15:33 - "Bad company corrupts good morals."

(Tara: This is huge! I'm experiencing this right now. Do you remember the show "Leave it to Beaver?" I can remember watching it as a child. Be on the lookout for friends like Eddie Haskell who had dual personalities. Sweet and charming to your face, but scheming when listening ears are not around.)

4. If you have younger children, what are the values of the parents of your children's friends?

Do you share the same values and convictions? When your children are in elementary school, it may not be too big a deal. But when they get into Middle and High School - it's a big deal. What are their rules on dating? Cell phone ownership? Curfews? They may not have determined these answers now, but you'll have a good idea by getting to know the heart of your child's close friend's parents.

5. Pray for godly wisdom to read between the lines - to read body language. (James 1:5, "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."

6. If married, have your husband kiss you (not too passionately) in front of the children. Point out that those types of embraces are made by God for marriage.

7. Maintain this mindset: YOUR CHILDREN GROW UP SO FAST. They will be adults and gone before you know it! Colossians 4:5 - "make the most of every opportunity." Spend quality time with them doing the things they like to do. As you do, your children will begin to share what's on their heart.

8. No one is perfect. We all make mistakes. If appropriate (not all the time), humble yourself and confess your sin before your children.

(Tara: I'll never forget the time I absolutely 'lost it' with my children. It was ugly. One of those times that your children see the worst of you. A bad that's so bad, that even you didn't know it existed in you.
The next day, the Lord led me to share, Colossians 3:8 with my children. "But you must rid yourselves of all such things as anger and rage..." I pointed out to my children that I had fallen short of how God would have me parent them. And asked for their forgiveness. It was VERY humbling. But my children got to see that the Bible is our Manual for Living. It was worth the humiliation.)

Oh, I have much more - please stay tuned. If these posts are helpful to you, will you share this blog with at least one of your friends?



On a different note:
My children begin summer break tomorrow. I must admit, I have wanted to take a break from these posts, but the Lord is not releasing me to stop! In fact, He's pouring new thoughts and various ideas for new series' within me.

This leads me to think, these devotional posts must be for someone who needs them. I hope that those of you who have children coming home for the summer, will hang with me. I realize our routines change as the seasons change - but if you are a regular reader - I pray that this blog post will remain part of your routine. Not because of me, but because to the best of my ability, I'm trying to share God thoughts that will be practical, helpful, personal, meaningful and life changing for you.

And if these posts are only for 1 woman - and her heart is growing closer to Jesus as a result - than YOU, dear woman, are worth the effort, the titanic effort it takes to post these everyday!

Have a great Memorial Day Weekend. I'll be back on either Tuesday, if not - Wednesday - to share more profound parenting thoughts.

Hang with me as we fight for our children in a deprave culture!

Love,

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this series! I know you must put so much prayer and time into these posts and it isn't for granted... It has blessed me tremendously. I appreciate each post. :) I love each "nugget" of wisdom here, and God has been revealing to me just how important our role as mother to our children is. I appreciate all the wisdom and learning I have been receiving from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tara! You are so humble....to think that you think you may only touch one woman. I was at the gym recently, and a friend was on a machine next to me. We started talking about parenting, and she says, " have you ever heard of Tara Furman? She wrote the best blog just this morning..." well, I read every one, so I knew just what she was talking about. She had been forwarded your blog by a neighbor of ours....all this to say hat God IS using you in the lives of women and mothers to draw them closer to Him....in Charlotte :) press on sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I needed to read these especially a young single mom, who feels as if she's failing ...a few years later and it's still going strong. Praise The LORD....thank you

    ReplyDelete