Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Are we Giving our Children to the Devil?

Nehemiah 4:14

"Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives (spouses) and your homes."


Last Friday after school, my kids and I went to our favorite ice cream shop. Another mom, who happens to be a special friend, met us there. I was hesitant to bring "it" up. Part of me didn't want to know if there was any truth to the rumors of sex and drugs invading the culture of some of our high school students. A little side note: The school we attend is a school that I dearly love. A school that I literally thank God for everyday. It's a school, whose superintendent doesn't just talk the talk - but walks the walk. I LOVE our school. We bear the name of Christ on our front sign. It's a privilege to go to a school where Christ is high and lifted up.

My children are in the 2ND and 4Th grades. For the most part, we are very sheltered from the middle and high school issues. But my friend, has a child in those upper grades. (So I knew that she would know.) She not only confirmed the rumors but said that sexting is an issue even in middle school. Did you hear me? Sexting! Sexting has left her having to explain what oral sex is.

OK - stop right there. I know what you may be thinking, "Get a life, Tara. It's high school. Kids are going to experiment." OR "How naive are you? Just because you're at a Christian school, why do you think the kids are any different?"

Well, maybe I am naive. Maybe my standards are too high. But I REFUSE to accept that "kids will be kids." That, "they are going to experiment and that you can't shelter them from everything." Why???

Because WE are the BODY OF CHRIST! WE DO NOT SETTLE. WE WILL FIGHT FOR OUR CHILDREN. WE WILL NOT GIVE OUR CHILDREN TO THE DEVIL.

Sure, we would never willingly give our child to the devil. But do you know how we inadvertently do so? By failing to pray fervently for them! And by failing to be attuned to the leading of the Holy Spirit... Listen to these Scriptures:

"I looked for a man among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found none." Ezekiel 22:30

"Do not give the devil a foothold." Ephesians 4:27

When we fail to stand in the gap on our children's behalf - we are giving the devil a foothold. I rarely EVER give parenting advice and I never speak on it - but the Lord has lit a fire in my belly over the last few days on this issue. And my heart is full.

It's time for the Body of Christ fight! WE must fight for our children and for our grandchildren. One of my precious mentors, Fayeson once taught me, "if we are not praying for our children - who is???

This is no time for spiritual laziness. If you have young children - do not think - "oh, I've got a few years before I have to deal with things like this." Wrong girlfriend. Our culture is morally and spiritually bankrupt. There are issues that we have to deal with that our parents never had to deal with, like facebook, video games, cell phones, Internet access.

It's game on! The devil wants to steal, kill and destroy your child and your family. NOW is the time to fight.

More tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. This post (like SO many) hit home to me. My oldest is finishing his 5th grade in a couple weeks in public school and recently, my eyes have been opened to all that he has been exposed to. Things that I, in 5th grade, would've never heard of... It has definitely been pressing on my heart lately that the Lord is calling me into deeper prayer for them. I can't wait to hear more...

    Oh, and I love that Nehemiah scripture!

    ReplyDelete