Monday, October 21, 2013

Boot Camp Day 8: Becoming Beautiful - the Challenge

1 Peter 3:3-4

"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment...  Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight."

Last spring at a women's event, the organizer asked if I would do a Q&A following my talk. 

The question arose of how much time we should spend reading our Bible's each day.  One of the leaders abruptly answered for me, "Ten minutes should be sufficient."

I thought, Sufficient?  Time with God... sufficient?"   This thinking makes it sound as if we owe HIM something. 

It suddenly occurred to me, this thinking would be like my husband telling me, "I have 10 minutes for you.  But after that, the conversation's over. I have a lot to do"

We would not have a good marriage is this was his thinking.

There are some days - all we have is 10-15 minutes.  But in general, if 10 minutes is all we give God each day, the seed planted in our heart will only yield a little amount. 

In the world of beauty - it would be equivalent to only applying concealer and foundation in our make-up regimen.  Never mind the mascara, the blush, the lip stick or any thing else!

Please know, I am VERY aware, we are all at different places in our walk with Jesus. For some of you right now, 10 minutes is HUGE because it used to be zero minutes. 

If this is you, I rejoice with you! As your trainer, stay committed to your 10 minutes each day. But next week, I want you to increase to 15 minutes.

For the rest of us at Boot Camp - here's your challenge
The amount time you spend becoming beautiful each day - give your inward beauty the same amount of time, attention and thought.
  • So if you spend 30 or 45 minutes becoming beautiful:  spend 30-45 minutes with Jesus each day. 
What about exercise? 
  • If you spend an hour getting tone and fit - spend the same amount of time on your inward beauty.
Don't roll your eyes at me!  And don't look at me like I'm nuts.  This is boot camp.  I'm your trainer.  If we want inward beauty, beauty that does not flee despite time and requires no painful surgeries or shots in our face - take the challenge.

Next post:  The BENEFITS of Becoming Beautiful 

No comments:

Post a Comment