Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Boot Camp Day 9: Benefits of Becoming Beautiful

Psalm 34:5
"Those who look to Him are radiant."

Yesterday, I issued a challenge:    The amount time you spend becoming beautiful each day - give your inward beauty the same amount of time, attention and thought.

Being VERY aware, we are all at different places in our walk with Jesus. For some of you, 10 minutes is HUGE because it used to be zero minutes.

As your trainer, stay committed to your 10 minutes each day. But next week, I want you to increase to 15 minutes.

During drop-off at school this morning, a BIG truck cut me off in carpool and almost ran over me.  I was FURIOUS!  It was all I could do not to blare the horn.   (We are at a Christian school, I thought. How would that look?) 

So within the privacy of my car, I began calling him a "Jerk;" You're gonna kill somebody;"  I continued, "It's ALL about you, buddy.  ALL ABOUT YOU." 

Then I remembered... Though I had dropped off my son, my daughter was still in the back seat. 

Quality parenting, huh? 

Convicted of my less than godly behavior (just 3 minutes prior, the 3 of us had prayed together), I decided, this ugly outburst was a signal that I needed more of Jesus today. 

Ugly outbursts should be our signal that we need more time with Jesus in our quiet time...   Allowing Him to make us inwardly beautiful.

Ways inward beauty manifests in everyday life. 

Did you notice today's Scripture? 
  • The Bible indicates a physical radiance upon our countenance when we've made time becoming inwardly beautiful!

  • The way inward beauty would have manifested this morning would have come in the form of patience.  So when this big burly truck came swinging into my lane, almost running me over -

Patience and self-control would have won the moment.  Maybe a prayer, "Lord, wake him up before he kills someone."

Remember the quiz from last week???

  • How do you act when you do not get your way?

Inward beauty may get frustrated, but you've learned to trust Jesus with the circumstance. You've learned first hand He has a purpose and plan.  You remain at peace - no manipulating or trying to control.
  • How do you respond when someone offends you?
Inward beauty intentionally chooses to love and give the benefit of the doubt.  Inward beauty even chooses to forgive even though the offender may not have asked for forgiveness.
  • How do you act when pushed to the limit by your children, your spouse or the pressures of everyday life...
Inward beauty manifests in self-control and not allow you to lose your temper!

Inward beauty turns to Jesus - pouring out your feelings, frustrations and thoughts in your chair till the peace comes.  (And I would say, POUR IT OUT ON HIM, not on another.  He can handle our frustrations and pressures.)  And provide REAL solutions.
  • What is your first response when bad news comes either through a phone call, another person or email?
Inward beauty has learned to run to Jesus - by coming to your "chair;" Bible in lap, knowing He will speak to you personally in the midst of your storm.

Becoming beautiful starts in the chair! Not the beauty chair - but the quiet time chair!
.
When our stomachs growl, we know we're hungry.   When our behavior or emotions flare or act out poorly - this is a signal that we need more chair time with Jesus.

Next Post:  God Speaks Personally


Reader Comments from the Challenge:

I find that anything less than an hour is insufficient to strengthen me for the day!  Just like exercise, the first 10-15 minutes is just the warm-up!  I'm on track and getting into it at 20-30 minutes.  That last 30 minutes is when I really feel that God is speaking to me!  But like the analogy (and you) suggest, if you're just beginning, there will be a period of adjustment involved. I would say commit 30 minutes and see if God doesn't begin enticing you to spend more time with Him.
Carolyn H.
 
Just love this Challenge!  I didn't roll my eyes at you at the correlation between our exercise regimen and time spent with the Lord, but you did make me laugh out loud!
Glenda A.

No comments:

Post a Comment