Tuesday, May 22, 2012

"I Still Can't Hear!"

(Don't miss the Prayer Journal training below)
Last week, I shared tips on how to "hear" from God during your quiet time.  If you missed any of those tips - go back - and watch the videos.  They are not meant to be a religious formula - but a mere foundation in establishing a "hearing ear."

This week - Reasons our "hearing" may be dull...
Plus Golf Tournament Pictures!  (God poured down His blessings!!!)  Can't wait to share them!
Next week:  The Recap from our ASK the EXPERTS panel at ISI!  (Such an anointed time!)

Isaiah 66:2
This is the one I esteem:  he who is humble and contrite in spirit and trembles at My Word."

What is your heart attitude as you read your Bible?   A devotion?  A devotional blog?  Or a pastor's sermon?  Does your heart say:
  • "I'll obey if it's convenient."
  • "If it's easy."
  • "I'f I feel like it.  If it's too hard, forget it."
If this is your heart attitude as you approach God's Word, you might as well be a 2 year old with her hands in her ears screaming, "I can't hear you!!!"

I did this for a long time.

I remember one instance when God impressed upon my heart (in my quiet time) to call a former friend, whom I had not seen in 12 years, to apologize for lying and covering up the fact that I had gossiped about her.  By the way, she totally busted me.  But I lied and denied as hard as could!  

Keep in mind, this entire 12 years, I was a church going, Bible study attending believer.  I had a quiet time each day too.  But it was a "check off the list" kind of quiet time.  Nothing meaningful.

For 12 years, every time I sensed the Lord's conviction, I was like a 2 year old child with her hand in her ears.  My obedience was based completely on convenience. 

But this time - things were different...  I was in a tumultuous season of life.   I desperately needed to hear direction from the Lord.   This act of obedience would not be convenient nor easy.  It would require humility and embarrassment.  Yet,  I resolved that I'd rather look like a fool to her - than to my God.
So, I called her...   2x's... No answer...
Left a voice message...   No reply...
Then wrote a letter of confession and apology.  Stamped it... Put it immediately in the mailbox -

You know what happened next?  Bricks of guilt fell away. 

And a flood of God 's wisdom and direction came rushing in during subsequent weeks of quiet time - my conscience was totally clear and the break-through I so desperately needed eventually came. 

Ironically, this act of obedience (though difficult) was what precipitated the birth of what would later become Knowing God Ministries!

So if you still can't "hear" when you open your Bible...   Take an honest look at your heart attitude toward God and His Word.   If you're heart is not contrite nor do you tremble at His Word - your ears will remain dull.

Girlfriend, I know that this is a hard word - but obedience brings joy and freedom!  A few weeks ago, after I had finished speaking, a lady walked up to me with a scowl on her face saying - "I feel like you've beat me up.  Yet at the same time - I know you're right." 

Whatever God may be impressing upon your heart - DO IT!


Prayer Journal Training: 
Listening Section -
1.  Write the date and the issue God may be addressing in the left column under the word:  Date
2.  In the block section to the right - (under the word: Title)  write out the Scripture and what you sense Him saying.

I'd show you mine, but there are just things that are too personal that I have written.  But that's the beauty of your prayer journal!  As you pour out your heart to God, He'll answer and address those questions or insecurities.  Write them down!  You may want to memorize what He's said.


No comments:

Post a Comment