Wednesday, August 10, 2011

America is Shaking

Haggai 2:6-7

This is what the Lord Almighty says: "In a little while I will once more shake the heavens and the earth, the sea and the dry land. I will shake all nations..."

I'm currently reading a Chronological Bible in my quiet time. And though I'm about 6 days behind the current date - I'm taking my time and soaking in every word. And what the Holy Spirit is impressing on my heart is that God is repeating what I believe is happening in current day.

I'm deep in Old Testament. This morning I was reading Jeremiah. God had told Jeremiah to "give them My entire message; include every word. Perhaps they will listen and turn from their evil ways. Then I will change my mind about the disaster I am ready to pour out on them because of their sins." (Jer.26:2-3)

Over the last few weeks, God has been giving me a message and I am to share every word with you. This may take a week or more - as my husband always reminds me if my posts are too long!

Major things are happening in the world and in our country. Let's start with America:


  • The volatility of the financial markets -

  • America is in the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression-

  • Unemployment is over 9%. Under-employment is said to be hovering around 20%. (Under-employment is the number of people who are out of work and for whatever reason are not looking for employment any longer. Perhaps they've given up.)

  • People have lost enormous sums of money due to depressed housing prices and values.

  • Retirements, pensions, college funds are swindling now due to market fluctuations.

  • American debt is skyrocketing - both personal and nationally.

  • Housing foreclosures are sky high -

  • People with otherwise stellar credit are faced with bankruptcy or have already claimed bankruptcy.

  • A loss of hope. Yesterday in the news, the fed is setting interest rates for a predetermined time because there is NO HOPE in a recovery any time soon. (The Fed's actions are unprecedented.)

Before you think I'm going to dive into a political diatribe -


Let's talk about the weather. Just this year:



  • Did anyone notice the record setting blizzards this past winter - all across the U.S.?

  • I don't know how anyone could miss the record breaking heat - the consecutive days of 100 degrees+ - that most everyone in the country is experiencing.

  • Famine unlike any in past years or decades. Farmers - who have farmed for generations throughout the country - are selling off cattle because they can't feed them. Crops that are a total loss because of a lack of rain and the many farmers who can't afford to keep watering. People who have farmed for decades and know famine - have said this famine is unlike any before.

I feel quite certain I'm missing some things - but are you getting the picture? Are you seeing a pattern? Or do you dismiss all of this to mere weather patterns? Totally coincidental?


Based on Romans 15:4 - The Bible was written to teach us how God handled people and situations in the past so that we would know the direction to take for today. What He did yesterday - He can do today.


I firmly believe that God is shaking America! He's trying to get our attention. In the Bible, when His people had fallen far from Him - He sent disasters, calamity, or invading enemies to get their attention.


His people have fallen so far from Him... We'll pick up here tomorrow.


I pray you'll have the courage to come back. The next few posts are not for the doubters or for the faint at heart. It will take courage... because it will require you to be willing to open your eyes...


But look around dear sister. Read the newspaper. Look at the news. The God of the Universe is shaking us.

1 comment:

  1. I believe you are right on girl! I believe that God is shaking us, that He is trying to get our eyes off the things that distract us and keep us from our walks with Him, and rather help us to focus on Him and what He is able to do... which is give us peace during these unsettling times.

    I know I tend to focus on the problems and not stay focused on Him, so I am thankful for these posts.

    I loved how you mentioned "The Bible was written to teach us how God handled people and situations in the past so that we would know the direction to take for today. What He did yesterday - He can do today." AMEN girl!!!

    ReplyDelete