Thursday, May 29, 2014

When Worry Consumes You





“You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in You, all whose thoughts are fixed on You!”  
Isaiah 26:3

Peace sounds so easy:  just keep your mind on God and He will keep your mind at peace!  We would all like this.  But it is not as easy as it sounds.  

One of the times in my life that I was in need of peace was in 2000:   my husband left,  we got a divorce, and I became a single mom with no job.  I wanted peace, but tears, worry and anxiousness overwhelmed me.  I wanted to know how I was going to make it through today and what tomorrow was going to look like.  There were many days that the load was overwhelming.  I found that worry did not help, it just borrowed trouble.  God’s Word answered the trouble:  I found that when I turned to prayer and gave it to God, the load was lighter.  He was my burden bearer, bringing peace into my heart and my mind.

I found the key to peace was Jesus.


“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication 
with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 
And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, 
will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”  
Philippians 4:6-7



One of the ways that I found helped me keep my eyes on God was to cultivate a heart of gratitude and thanksgiving.  During that period of time, I read a devotion that gave me the idea to keep a “Praise and Thanksgiving” Basket.  Each night before I went to bed I would write on an index card 5 things that I could thank and praise God for that day.


I wrote my praises and thanksgiving on index cards for three years.   Some days it was hard to find something to be thankful for or to even praise God.  But as I looked for the praises, I saw my God at work, supernaturally taking care of my needs, giving peace and joy in the midst of horrible circumstances.  During those difficult years, I learned that He is my Sustainer, my Provider, my Everything.

Now, 14 years later, I still write my praises and thanksgiving down.  I keep them in my journal.  This still helps me keep my thoughts fixed on God.  When you are in need of peace and having a hard time keeping your mind fixed on Him, try writing out your praises and thanksgiving,

It will help you fix your thoughts on Him.  And He will fill you with peace!








No comments:

Post a Comment