Wednesday, May 14, 2014

When Mother's Day Almost Trainwrecked



Philippians 2:14-15
“Do all things without complaining and grumbling that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world."


Our family was on the road traveling to a graduation for Mother’s Day this year.  I was very grateful that many of my children were able to attend the graduation of our dear friend, Tanner, who is very much considered a member of our family.

Before commencement at 3:00 Sunday afternoon, we knew we would need food.  So when a well known sub shop was spotted, it was quickly decided that we would have lunch there.  Ick.   This particular fast food restaurant is one of my least favorite places to eat. 


And it's Mother's Day. Again... it's MOTHER'S DAY.

I sensed my emotions beginning to take over...  This is how they sounded:

"Your family is taking you out for a sub on Mother’s Day?  
You should be upset at their insensitivity.  
I wonder where my girlfriends are having lunch today. . .  Certainly not a sub shop!


My husband quickly realized that I had gone quiet.  He politely asked me, “Is there anything wrong?”  

At that point I realized my indignant thoughts were about to reveal what was really going on in my head - anger, grumbling, complaining, NOTHING GOOD.

I quickly had to call upon help from the Lord - otherwise the day could spiral out of control.

IMMEDIATELY, I was impressed to began thinking about all the many things I could be thankful for:
·       My family was getting to attend the graduation of our son, Tanner.  It had been a long and hard six years of education but he had not given up;
·       I got to spend at least seven hours in the car driving with my husband;
·       My family really likes subs.  They were just excited to be together;
·       I had money to pay for the food.
·       My children had hugged me, given me gifts, and even told me they were glad I was their Mom early that morning;
·       And most importantly, I've been a mother for 27 years and will be one until the day I go home to be with Jesus. Who is Hallmark to dictate when I get to celebrate being a Mommy.



As I purposely started counting my blessings instead of dwelling on the fact that I was at a sub shop on Mothers Day,  my emotions began to line up with thoughts...  As did my face!

So, instead of having a chip on my shoulder and causing the day to train wreck, we had a great day!   We had a blast cheering for our son as he crossed the stage to get his diploma.   We were joyful.  We were at peace with each other.  It was no longer about a Hallmark holiday but about being together as a family.  



Mother Daughter Event  
2 More Days - Get your tickets now!


Based on your package, the Event includes:
  • Backstage passes are available with the VIP package!
  • Concert 
  • Speaker (Me!)
  • Photo Ops with the band -  Your daughter will get to meet them!
  • Makeovers
  • Cupcakes
  • Shopping and More!
The event is a fundraiser for Education = Hope.  All proceeds goes to support this ministry.


VIP Experience:  $35 - (3:00pm - 6:30pm)
General Admission:  $25 (4:00pm - 6:30pm)
Get your tickets today HERE  
Search 1 Girl Nation

No comments:

Post a Comment