Monday, May 19, 2014

Out of Your Comfort Zone

1 Timothy 1:12
I thank Christ Jesus our Lord who has given me strength, that He considered me faithful appointing me to His service.

What a joy to be able to participate in the 1 Girl Nation Extravaganza this weekend in Charlotte!  So much happened this weekend, I'll have to break these up into a few posts.
Today:  OUT OF YOUR COMFORT ZONE



THE  1 Girl Nation Extravaganza was an event I'll never forget.  My daughter, the friend she brought along and every mother and daughter - will NOT FORGET Saturday, May 17th, 2014.



It was a blast and TONS of fun!



But I'm going to be honest.  My job as the speaker for this event - was far outside my comfort zone. It may have been one of the hardest assignments EVER!

Why?

When I looked out and saw the sea of LITTLE GIRLS, I almost melted in fear! They were precious.  But they were LITTLE GIRLS that might as well have been giants!  I'm used to speaking to adult women - not 7/14 year old little girls and their Mom's!

Yet let me tell you how faithful our God is:  When He calls you to do something FAR outside of your comfort zone - HE SHOWS UP.  And He shows up BIG.  Seriously, I sat back stage wide eyed looking at Autumn saying, "Why are we here?  I'm prepared, but I've got nothin'!"  

(This has happened twice this month.)  She calmly tells me - "He's given you what you need," and she begins praying out loud - which is a big comfort to me.


I knew people were praying.  To top it off,  I drew strength from the 4 KGM Team Members in attendance:  Melody, Ellen, Amy and Autumn.  So let me give God praise!

  • HE enabled me to speak a child like language!  
  • He gave energy.  
  • He gave me on the spot ideas to involve the girls by bringing them to the stage.  
  • HE WAS MAGNIFIED!   So much so, the mothers at the event had no idea that my normal audience are women - not girls!


The notes I share below - are not to arrogantly toot my horn.  I want to put OUR GOD and His sufficiency on display.  I want you to see the power of the Holy Spirit to a woman literally shaking in her heels prior to stepping on stage.  I want you to see what happens when a willing vessel steps out on the water to dance with Jesus...

Notes from a Mom:

The 1 Girl Nation girls were precious and really spoke to the kids.  I felt the speaker did an amazing job explaining how we can listen to God and how important it is to have a relationship with Jesus.  

Note from another Mom:

(Take note of the Journal, Growing in Prayer.  Sneak peak!  More later.)


So, I walked upstairs tonight to say prayers with my child and came upon a Mother's most precious sight...my daughter had made her "quiet space" all by herself...  In her room, in her fuzzy lounger chair with her blanket, with all of her new supplies from the weekend. She had already organized them, along with Tara's journal. The Lord must have opened up this weekend and put it on our hearts to hear Tara's message. We had honestly gotten out of the habit of devotional time together as the nights have been full and later bedtimes...thank you for organizing such a meaningful event. 

Another Mom: 


Last night, I closed the door to my daughter's room after saying goodnight and she said "oh mom", I opened the door again. She connected what Tara had said about friends and friendship with mothers and said "You are my number one friend". My heart melted. I truly won't forget May 17, 2014. 

All glory; all credit to our amazing God.  He deserves all the credit.  I'm NOTHING without Him.  Apart from Him, we can do nothing of any lasting importance.

I'm still learning, but I'm learned afresh this weekend: when God calls us outside of our comfort zones, all He wants is a willing vessel.  A willing vessel for Him to display HIS Son to the world.  He supplies the words; the energy; the power; the evidence of changed lives.

I woke up way too early Sunday morning at the Charlotte Marriott.  So I went downstairs to get coffee and found a quiet spot to read my Bible and talk to Jesus.  1 Timothy 1:12 was in my reading.  I teared up as I reflected on the day before and thanked Christ Jesus our Lord who gave me strength and considered me faithful and appointing me to His service.  

Even though it was out of my comfort zone.  I would have missed so much had I NOT said, "Yes" to Jesus.




Next Post:  Others are blessed when we say Yes

No comments:

Post a Comment