Wednesday, May 7, 2014

5 Habits to a Better Life, Part 2

Romans 12:2
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world...


For many years, busyness, over commitment and unwise priority choices controlled my life.

Yet one day I woke up.  The quality of my life had dissipated.   I had allowed the pace of a hectic, chaotic world spill into my life, marriage and family.

Since then, God has shown me practical habits to keep destructive patterns of the world at bay.  Over activity and busyness for any given period of time IS destructive.  Do not be fooled by the pattern of the world.

Last week, I shared Habit's 1 and 2.  Click HERE if you missed it.  Today,  I'll share the remaining 3 habits.  Please know, it's still a daily pursuit.

Habit #3. Wisely invest in Priority Relationships.

IF you are a married woman, your husband is your priority ministry.  Therefore, discern if you are treating your husband as the lowest person on the totum pole.  Do you spend more time with your girlfriends or even your church ministry?  Who gets the best of you?  Who gets the worst?  Your husband and children are your priority relationships.

What other people should be important?   According to the Word, our Mom and Dad are to be part of our priority relationships.  Regardless of where they live, find ways to invest in their lives.  (See Matthew 15.  It's eye opening.)

Say no to the constant temptation to be drawn away by good things at the neglect of best.  Sadly, we can treat our families the worst and our acquaintances the best.  If this is you, wake up!  God has such a better plan for you life.  Come in agreement with Him.

Habit #4.  Have a quiet time each day. 

This is a must.  It's not negotiable.   Our quiet time can set the pace of our day.  Why?  Because we're spending time with Mr. Peace.  Jesus is the Prince of Peace.  Not only will He comfort your insecurities and strengthen you against them... But He'll also encourage your day with direction and purpose - He'll also set the pace of your day.

I can't find anywhere in the Bible Jesus hurrying His disciples saying, "Come on boys, we've go to go.  Pack up camp and put out that fire.  We've got some preachin' to do."

I used to hurry my family constantly.  In fact, I could lose my temper trying to get out the door for Bible study!  

I'm done with "hurry" mentality.  My quiet time helps me tremendously in this area.

Habit #5.  Choose to trust God when you have no control.  

I cannot control other people.  I cannot control their response to any given situation.

But I can control me.  And I can control my responses.  And because I've not neglected my quiet time, I have spent time with Mr. Self Control.  So I pray for "self control" to rise up within the storm of my heart when hard things happen.

I then ask the Holy Spirit what He wants me to do?  If I sense direction - I act.  If not, I stand in trust.  I can be at peace - trusting God and His infinite resources to act on my behalf.   "When I am afraid, I will trust in You."  Psalm 56:3

You can do this too.  It's not always easy - but it's a choice.

These 5 habits are simple.  But from personal experience, they will not become habitual by accident.  I still work on them everyday.   Most days I'm successful.  Other days, I fail.  The days  I do, I just start again the next day!

You will have to be intentional.  But the end result is the reclaiming of life quality Jesus purposes you to have.    (John 10:10)



No comments:

Post a Comment