Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Gloom and Distress, Part 2

Upcoming Events:

1.  Iron Sharpens Iron - REGISTER TODAY!  Deadline: Wednesday @ 5pm
Topic:  Marriage, marriage and more marriage -
"What Happens When Jesus invades our Marriages"
Register Now for January 13th  Lunch!


Gloom and Distress, Part 2
Isaiah 9:1
"Nevertheless, there will be no more gloom for those who were in distress."

I want you to memorize this Scripture.  It's for YOU and for me...  For me personally, it's my 2012 theme.

Yesterday, I asked what you were carrying in the pretty little tote of your heart?  Deep down... in the hidden pockets...
  • Shame?
  • Disappointment
  • Fear?
  • Anxiety?
  • Misery from consequences of bad decisions?
  • Fear of tomorrow?

There are several of the above things that hide out in the deep pockets of my life, yet as I begin 2012, I'm resolving - NO  MORE.  They are no longer welcome.  The squatters of gloom and distress must go! 

Why do I not have to put up with them anymore???

Because I belong to Jesus.  And  Jesus, the Messiah, whom this verse is describing - CAME not only to deliver us from eternal hell, but He came to deliver us from the yoke of my oppressive enemies that torture my heart and mind.  Listen to this:

"For as in the day of Midian's defeat, You [Messiah] have shattered the yoke that burdens them, the bar across their shoulders, the rod of their oppressor." 
Isaiah 9:4

In other words, the yoke that burdens us - be it anxiety, fear, shame, disappointment - whatever it is that burdens you OR continually tortures your heart and mind - JESUS CAME TO SHATTER THAT YOKE!

Now pause and think about this for a minute.  Let's make this personal to you... 

What is the yoke(s) that continually burdens your heart and mind?  Those torturous thoughts?  The nagging anxiety...  The hidden shame...

If you've identified it, give it a name.  You may have several.  

Now, go back to the two verses...  If you belong to Christ, then you and I do not have to live in gloom and in distress because:

JESUS CAME TO SHATTER THAT YOKE!

But we have a part in this...  And like I said yesterday:  doing the same old thing - the same old way, will not yield different results.  WE must go on offense.  In some cases, we must get radical in our pursuit to be free from these heavy yokes in the New Year.   

Step #1
Jesus has to come out of the "religion" box. 

More tomorrow...

Prayer Journal watchers:  These devotions are leading into our Prayer Journal training.  Why would you even want to do something new, if you don't think it will be bring meaningful change...  The Prayer Journal was my first step to meaningful change.


2.  Facebook Thursday!


Jump onto Facebook, Thursday, January 12th 
Anytime: 9:00am-10:00am
Knowing God Ministries fan page!
Last Thursday was great!  Enjoyed talking to you:)


3.  As we start the New Year,
Resolve to grow closer in your walk with Jesus!

Join me this week for Prayer Journal Training -
Here on the blog:)
If you do not have one, order one today!






 

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait for tomorrow... You had to leave a cliffhanger didn't ya? :) All kidding aside, this is so timely and perfect in my life and I am sure many others and I sit here in tears reading the truths you have just laid out in front of me out of the book of Isaiah. Going to reread 9 now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is funny to me that 3 months later, I had yet to make the lasting changes to walk in the freedom of doom and gloom. I have been thinking about going back to the beginning of the prayer journal training, only this time making the lasting changes to rid myself once and for all of this guilt. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete