Sunday, July 17, 2011

Role Models

Philippians 4:9

"Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me - put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you."


Do you believe we live in an era that's desperate for positive, godly role models? If the Housewives of Orange County, or New Jersey, or Atlanta are what we are learning and putting into practice - we are doomed for dysfunction.

A few months ago, I got to meet a woman whose books radically changed my thinking and my marriage. This woman was my mentor, though, I'd never met her in person. In fact, I used to use her books like how-to manuals. I would refer to her - to my friends - by her first name, Nancy, as if she was my BFF. She didn't know me from Adam's house cat.

So when she walked into my first Iron Sharpens Iron Meeting in April and introduced herself, I nearly fell over! She had no idea - no clue - about the impact she had had on my life and my marriage. And there she was, staring me in the face! What a sweet gift from Jesus for Him to allow me to meet someone who so profoundly changed the course of my life.

This dear woman I am referring to is Nancy Cobb. She is the co-author of The Politically Incorrect Wife, How to Get your Husband to Talk to you, Is There a Moose in your Marriage, and The Best Thing I Ever Did for My Marriage.

Nancy accepted Christ when she was 42 years old. She had 4 children in 5 years. (Yikes!) She was the teaching leader for Bible Study Fellowship in Raleigh, NC for several years before moving to Omaha, Nebraska where she served as director of Women's Ministry in her church for 12 years. She managed a staff of 33. She's appeared on local and national television; she's done 100's of radio interviews around the country and even had her own radio segment devoted entirely to marriage.

The really neat thing about Nancy's story is that, as Paul Harvey used to say, "and that's the rest of the story." She can share the rest of the story. She can share the rest of the story following years of living out God's principle of submission. You see, her husband's faith became sight 3 years ago - when Ray went to be with Jesus. So she has a perspective on submission that truly tells the "rest of the story." In other words, her perspective is different because she CHOSE to respond in a completely radical way despite what many of her friends may have been doing or thinking at the time.

Nancy responded to a few of my blog posts last week. Her comments MUST be shared. (BTW -I asked for permission!) I also asked what her thoughts were on submission and spiritual leadership in the family. (Several of you sent notes to me indicating that YOU are the spiritual leader in the home. This may be the case for many of you.) This week, thanks to Nancy, we'll cover this.

So hang with me each day; you will not want to miss a single post of a woman whose actions we CAN put into practice, a woman who we can emulate! And when we do, we are promised a peace that comes only from God Himself from within our homes.

God willing,

Wednesday: Spiritual Leadership in the Home

Thursday: The Rest of the Story

Friday: 3 Reasons we just Can't or Won't

Don't Forget:

Chick-fil-A; Cary Towne Center, Cary NC

Thursday, July 21st - 4:30-7:30pm

Can't wait to meet you in person :)







1 comment:

  1. I am amazed at just how faithful our God is. He provides for our needs so beautifully in ways we can't imagine, sometimes I sit in awe at our Heavenly Father. I can't wait to hear more from Nancy Cobb and believe the timing on the topic of submission couldn't be better for me. Again, He is so faithful.
    I had to laugh as I read this post because truly YOU, precious Tara have inspired me in the same way Nancy inspired you. Your feelings towards her are exactly how I (and I'm sure many others) feel about you. I can't begin to thank you enough for changing my life and I pray for you and your precious ministry DAILY. You are a blessing to me. :) God bless you and sweet Nancy!

    ReplyDelete