Monday, April 4, 2011

Words Matter

Philippians 4:8

Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lively, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

My 40th birthday was Friday! And my husband has absolutely spoiled me. He's calling it "Taraukkah"! (After Hanukkah) Please KNOW that I'm not trying to be boastful or elicit any form of coveting. (Trust me, I have my fair share of issues.) But I want to give a shout-out to him because he's awesome and so is my family. Birthday's are big in our family. In fact, my Dad started sending "it's coming" emails 2 days prior to April 1st. And my husband proclaimed last Wednesday - "that the birthday week shall commence!" And it has! In fact, I'm sick of me. But Tim's thoughtfulness, creativity, and effort has touched my heart more than I can ever really communicate to him. He has truly focused on my favorite things, my favorite foods and my favorite people. Though I've tried to communicate my gratitude - my cup still overflows from his thoughtfulness.


The other reason I'm sharing this is NOT to elicit "happy birthday's" from each of you, but to spring board today's topic - How are we talking to our men? Are we glass 1/2 empty girls or are we glass 1/2 full girls? Are we using our WORDS to thank and praise our men? Today's work culture is cut throat. Many men do not have jobs. But the ones who do - I can assure you - they are not hearing words of affirmation from their bosses in the workplace. So what about at home? Are they hearing words of affirmation and appreciation from you? Just as we are starving for our love language to be met by our husbands, they too are starving for words of praise and encouragement. Let me give you some examples:

  • "Thank you for taking out the trash."

  • "Thank you for going to work today."

  • "Thank you for giving the kids a bath."

  • "You look so nice. Your butt looks great in those pants!" (Sorry girls, but this is real life- let's be real!)

  • "You are such a great father."

  • "You are such a thoughtful and wonderful husband. Thank you for being such a great provider."

Even if your husband only does one thing - and you wish he'd do MUCH MORE - thank him for that one thing. Perhaps if you begin to thank him on a regular basis, he'll begin to do more. Anytime your husband puts forth an effort - notice it and thank him for it. RESIST all temptation to focus any negatives.


Our husband's may be big and macho on the outside - but on the inside - most of them are very sensitive. Our words make a difference. I want to challenge you to make a list of 10 things that you love about your husband. Place your list in your prayer journal. Go back over it as often as needed. This will enable you to "think about the excellent or praiseworthy" things in your marriage. THEN COMMUNICATE IT!


Have a super day!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this challenge! I wrote out my 10 things and will place them where I will remember to thank him for it. It felt good to focus on the positives and not the negatives.

    ReplyDelete