Monday, April 18, 2011

Preparing Our Hearts for Easter

This week, will be a short week for many of us. We'll have either Friday or Monday off. If you have children or grandchildren, you'll possibly attend an Easter egg hunt. We'll possibly buy new church clothes. We'll put on our Sunday best; we'll gather with family; we'll eat ham or whatever your family eats. Perhaps some of us will receive a visit from the Easter bunny.


But how many of us will stop and ponder why we get to celebrate this holiday? The greatest event that has ever happened to mankind will be celebrated this weekend - the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. But will we overlook what it took in order for us to celebrate? Will we ignore the meaning of Easter and hope for an inspiring message on Sunday to get us in "the true mood" for Easter?




I accepted Christ as my Savior when I was a little girl. But I never really understood the significance of the Cross. The phrase, "Jesus died to save me from my sins" were just memorized rote words. I had no idea what they actually meant.



My first job out of college, I found myself having lunch with a co-worker. She was a beautiful, Spirit-filled, Christ follower. (She was literally a very beautiful woman inside and out.) There was something different about her - she knew Jesus personally - and it showed. I wanted to know her Jesus. So in honest confession - I asked her - "What does 'Jesus died on the cross to save me from my sin' actually mean?" I confessed that I had "prayed the prayer," but didn't really understand what it meant.




She wisely responded by telling me that she would ask God to explain it to me. (I proceeded to ask her if I should expect to hear a voice! She laughed and briefly explained what I blogged about last week.)



A year and a half later, I had forgotten the encounter with my co-worder, but God had not. Sitting in Bible study one night - my eyes were opened to the meaning of the cross. I'll never forget it. I was 24 years old. Although I only saw a glimpse of the true meaning, the glimpse changed my life. I've not been the same since.



God has put on my heart to lead you, as best I can, to the Cross and to the tomb this week. Please know that I do not know everything - I too can only see but a glimpse. But everytime I study the Cross, the glimpse gets a little more clear. I so desire for you to see firsthand - perhaps for the first time or in a fresh way what Jesus dying on the Cross really means.



Please don't let this be an academic or a historic walk for you. I'm praying that the Holy Spirit will give you eyes to see the Cross up close and personal. But let me warn you, it will be graphic and appalling. This walk is not for the weak hearted. There are some days, that you may be moved to tears. If you are - that's a good sign.



I won't be able to cover every detail. I'll prayerfully choose the highpoints to stay within the week's time frame. So if you're up for the trip back into time, climb with me into our time machine. Our first stop: the Garden.

1 comment:

  1. I am all too guilty of not taking time during the Easter holiday to really thank the Lord for His precious gift. I get so wrapped up in the "to do list", that often times it comes and goes without my quiet time with the Lord.

    You friend's statement to you was SO beautiful and genuine. How honest of her to just pray for the Lord to reveal it to you and have it be your walk and revelation, rather than hers.

    I can't wait for your posts this week.

    As always, thank you!

    ReplyDelete