Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Leaving a Godly Inheritance




"But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of,
because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus."
2 Timothy 3:14-15

What kind of Godly Inheritance do you want to leave your children or grandchildren?


Several months ago I received a box in the mail from my mother.  She had recently cleaned out her basement and found a few things of mine she thought I'd like to have.  Upon opening the box I was surprised to discover my very first Bible:
It was a Christmas gift from my grandparents.  I was eleven.



I sat there staring at that small white leather bound bible with tears rolling down my cheeks. . .
  • thanking the Lord for my grandparents and all the memories we had made together.  
  • thanking Him for the legacy they left behind and how they shared the love of Jesus with me.
                        What an impact they made in my life!  I miss them so much!

My grandparents loved the Lord. My grandpa was a farmer and my grandma a school teacher.  They were members of The Church of the Brethren where my grandpa taught adult Sunday School and my grandma led the congregation in the hymn singing each Sunday morning. They enjoyed music, traveling, reading, playing cards, telling stories, and being with people!  My sister and I spent long summers with them on the farm. . .they poured their lives into us!  

What a treasure:  LOVE. . . something money can't buy and death can't take away!
That first Bible I received from my grandparents was a treasure.  There isn't any book in the world to match this one:
  • Through no other book will I find the way to eternal life.
  • Through no other book will I discover what real love is all about.  
  • Through no other book will I find out how to have peace and joy and contentment in life.  
  • Through no other book  will I  be able to have answers to life's questions other than God's word.
Today I have Bibles all over the place:  one in the kitchen, one in the living room, one in my purse, and one on my nightstand. . . .that's me!   I tell my children, "The Bible is the most important information given to mankind."

Challenge question for you:  
How long does the Bible in your house lay unopened before it get's dusty?

I used to believe, "I can live a Godly life without reading my Bible."  But I quickly realized I can't!  I should never have dust on my Bible because when I get dust on my Bible I don't get the Bible into my heart.  I cannot live a Godly life apart from the word of God!

My grandparents defended the Word, they read it with me, and explained it the best way they knew how.  I had questions and they would say , "Let's get into the Word of God and see what the Word of God says." 

My grandparents left a Godly inheritance in three ways:
  • By how they lived -
  • By what they believed -
  • By what they said -
 I have an awesome desire in my heart to help my children know Jesus! How? By teaching them to have a reverence for the word of God from a very young age just like my grandparents taught me!





2 comments: