Monday, September 15, 2014

"Instead Of Rolling Over in the AM..."


Have you registered for September's luncheon?  Wednesday is the last day for Early Registration.

 Register HERE




 Elizabeth Black


…Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles.  
And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, 
fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith.  
For the joy set before Him, He endured the cross, scorning its shame, 
and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  
Hebrews 12:1-2

Lately, most mornings I wake up to the soft knocking of a tiny hand on my door.

I have had full intentions (I tell myself) to get up before the household and have my time with the Lord before the sweet chaos of the day begins.  

But my three-year-old beats me to it.  My child that used to sleep "late" is now my early riser, up even before the sun.  

As I hear his gentle knock, I have a choice:
  •  Do I roll over and pretend to not hear and see if he'll go play on his own and let me sleep 

or
  • Do I get up, rub the sleep from my eyes and embrace him with love and kindness for waking me in such a sweet manner?

This is the choice we so often have with the Lord.  Do we "throw off everything that hinders and entangles" and embrace the Lord, loving him with our hearts, minds and soul or do we turn away - choosing what we want instead of seeking the Lord's guidance?

Romans 8:12-13 states:
Therefore, bothers and sisters, we have an obligation - 
but it is not to the flesh, to live according to it.  
For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; 
but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.

When we choose to go our own way, that is a rebellion against God.  We are choosing to do something contrary to God's purpose for our life.

Acts 28:17 tells us "For in him we live and move and have our being."
To fully live and move with the Lord, we have to turn towards him, basking in his light and being obedient to his guidance.

In Ephesians 2:10 the author Paul gives me much comfort when he writes:
"For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

NOTHING happens out of God's plan.  He has a purpose for each of us.


And all we have to do is get up out of bed and embrace Him with love and obedience.

So when that soft knock comes before the sun has even risen, what will I choose?

I choose to seek the Lord, fixing my eyes on Jesus and embracing the day he has purposed for me.  

I get up with my sweet boy, fix his juice and my coffee.  Turn on a show he enjoys and open up my Bible.  

And when I am interrupted every five minutes to fix a toy, make breakfast or calm an argument between siblings, I will praise the Lord for His many blessings upon my family and for His Son Jesus, my Protector of faith and Source of true joy. . .

. . . Who on the cross chose to save me from my sin  - INSTEAD OF rolling over and saying "l think I'd rather sleep, God."



1 comment:

  1. I love this Elizabeth! I too wake to an EARLY riser right now, and sometimes I struggle with feeling like This isn't fair! I have to be ON all day with all of them...can't I just have my morning? Clearly my focus then is not on counting my gifts and praising God, but on me and what I want my morning to look like. :( It truly is a choice each day, not only how I respond to my early children but also if I will embrace my Lord or turn away from Him (mostly to myself)!!! May we choose well! Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete