Monday, February 3, 2014

Prayer Boot Camp Day 4 - Five Practical How-To's to Jump Start Prayer

Thank you to the 200+ who responded to our Early Bird Registration.   It's gonna be good!!!
No worries if you didn't register.  It's not too late!
Click HERE to Register and join us!

5 Practical How-To's to Jump Start Prayer

Hebrews 11:6
And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to Him, must believe that He exists and rewards those who earnestly seek Him.

Each of us are different. Therefore, each one of us will have a prayer time that's individual to us and God.

Also, please note, I don't consider myself an expert.  But I know that I know,  I have a personal relationship with Jesus (that I believe) is growing each day.  So to give you a fresh idea or to possibly jump start your prayer time, I invite you into the practicals of my time with the Lord.

  1. When I sit down in my chair each morning, by faith, I am confident of God's Presence with me.
  2. I open with prayer.  (It's nothing spiritual.  Often, I'm still waking up.  At some point during this brief opening prayer, I ask Him to give me ears to hear what He wants to say to me. To take every thought captive...
  3. Bible in lap - (sipping my coffee in the other) I'll either start in the Psalms (where I left off the day before), or from where I was reading the day before. 
  4. Slowly and intentionally I read with great expectation.  Are any words or phrases jumping out at me?  If so, what am I hearing in my heart?  What is coming to my mind as I read the text?  (Remember, I've prayed for God to speak).
  5. When God brings something or someone to mind - I respond in prayer.
Let me give you an example:  One evening last week, I had been at a function where I encountered a dear friend.  I could tell by her countenance something was wrong.  As I hugged her, I whispered if everything was okay.  She responded by saying, "I'll tell you later."  Due to the nature of the function - there wasn't an appropriate time to follow up.

The next morning in my quiet time, I was reading out of Philippians.  Suddenly these phrases jumped out at me and God brought to mind, my friend. 
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."    Phil 4:6

In response - I paused and prayed this Scripture over my friend and her circumstances.  The Scripture was God speaking and inviting me to pray for my friend. The prayer was me answering back.  

Then I continued my reading until God showed me something else.  Make sense?

Boot Camp To Do:  
1.  Always start in prayer - keep it simple and conversational. 
2.  Read intentionally with great expectation.  
3.  Allow God to speak through Scripture - respond to Him in prayer.

How do you encounter the Lord each day?  I'd love to hear.   I'm a firm believer that iron sharpens iron. 

Testimonial
from a Bible study leader in South Florida - per last week's blog on having a set time in prayer.


AMEN! I just heard wonderful praise reports today from my ladies about the time we set aside today from 9 to 9:30 to each one be in prayer in their homes, since we couldn't meet at my house today(sick!) Just knowing that each lady was in prayer at the same time in different places was so powerful! Everyone said it was so purposeful and such a sweet time with the Lord. God is so good! Just being apart but praying "together" showed another magnitude of the great awesomeness of our God! And your timely email was no coincidence.... just a God incidence! 


No comments:

Post a Comment