Thursday, September 1, 2011

Tsunami's of Life


If you are dry spiritually, come and be refreshed and renewed.
First Baptist Charlotte, September 16-17
I'll be there teaching, Quiet Time 101
For more information:


Tsunami's of Life

Psalm 27:13
I am confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

Did you ever see Google earth pictures following the 2004 Southeast Asia tsunami?   The topography of the earth was totally different following the tsunami.  The images are stunning.

So it is with the landscape of our heart and lives following the storms of life.  However, some storms that come our way are tsunami's.  They ravage us emotionally, spiritually and sometimes physically.  As a result, the topography of our lives are stunningly different following a storm of this magnitude.  And isn't it amazing how with some tsunami's, the ripple effect lasts for years - perhaps even a lifetime.

The third storm I mentioned yesterday, was actually not a storm but was a tsunami.   If you are regular reader, than you know that I'm a big believer in transparency and authenticity.  That's why I share so much of my life with you - my failings and my successes.  But in this case, I will not be able to share the details. 

However, let me say, the tidal wave that hit my life in June of 2006 following the resurgence of my daughter's health, ushered in such gloom, hardship, uncertainty and insecurity - that by the time December 2009 came around - I despaired of life.  It was rock bottom.  I was worn out and worn down.  And after 4 years, things continued to get worse, not better.  I found myself asking Jesus just "to take me home to be with Him."  That way, the pain wouldn't be so despairing.

I look at pictures of Christmas that year.  I'm smiling and having fun.  But behind the smile, was a broken woman.  I never tried to explain the pain to anyone else.   There are some things in life that NO ONE besides Jesus can fix.

In my prayer time each day, all I could muster was, "I choose to trust You Lord.  I don't feel like trusting You, but I choose to.  I feel like You keep throwing me under the bus.  But I know that's not Your mojo.  That's not how You operate.  I know that somehow, some way, You will be faithful.  Help me to hang on to You, Lord.  I'm slipping."

I know that many of you perhaps feel the same way.  You are living through  not just a storm, or even a hurricane, but a tsunami of epic proportion.  Tidal waves of such intensity that you wonder, "how in the world am I going to get out of bed today?"

Over the next few posts, I want to share what I learned and am continuing to learn through the tidal wave of 2006.  Life's tsunami's:
  • Draw us closer to Jesus as He reveals our idols.  (Oh no, here we go.)
  • Allow us to experience His faithfulness in the everyday -
  • Bring fruit - (if we'll allow it )
  • Strengthens the bonds of our relationship with Him.
  • Works good -
Psalm 27  became my song during this period.  (Read it!)  But my favorite verse is 13, "I am still confident of this:  I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living."  I often felt like the living dead.  But God was promising me, that I would once again join those in the "the land of the living."

God is faithful.  And if you are in a storm of any kind - even a tsunami - press into Jesus unlike ever before.  And you too, can boldly proclaim,  "I am CONFIDENT of this, I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living."

Have a good weekend.  See you Monday-

No comments:

Post a Comment