Thursday, September 8, 2011

Fruitful in the Land of Suffering




Fruitful in the Land of Suffering
Genesis 41:52
It is because God has made me fruitful in the land of my suffering.

Have you ever looked at suffering as a good thing?   I haven't.  In fact, I avoid it if at all possible.  Who wouldn't?

But for me, with each giant wave that came crashing onto the shores of my life - I drew closer to Jesus.  I began to spend more time reading my Bible and in prayer.  I began paying closer attention to what His Word says, so that I could live it out on the anvil of everyday life.

The Prayer Journal and the Bible study (above) would NEVER exist - were it not for the intense suffering of the last few years.  (This blog nor this ministry would exist as well.)  As a result of these tools, I am told that lives and homes and marriages are being affected for all eternity.  People are learning how to pray.  People are learning how to spend meaningful time with Jesus.  People are learning how to make God a part of the everyday - not just a Sunday morning add-on.  People are learning how to walk with Jesus.  People are realizing that God speaks and how to discern His voice in the midst of so many screaming for their attention.  These books were written on the anvil of suffering. 

I once shared with one of my dear friends, that these tools and this ministry are my Ephraim portion. 

What is an Ephraim portion? 

Genesis 37-50 shares Jacob's son, Joseph's story.  He was a man who suffered greatly.  In short, his brothers were extremely jealous to the point that they wanted to kill him.  In lieu of killing him, they sold him into slavery to some Egyptians.  In Egypt he was falsely accused of rape, placed in prison, and all but forgotten for 13 long years.  However, God had not forgotten him.  Eventually, Joseph would became second in command of all Egypt. 

Joseph named his second son, Ephraim.  He named him Ephraim because, "God had made him fruitful in the land of his suffering."  (Gen. 41:52)

In the midst of my suffering, I had no one to turn to who could truly help me - so I turned to Jesus.  He was the only One Who could fix my mess. 

As a result of turning to Jesus, He taught me things that not only helped me to get out of bed everyday, but He allowed me to prosper spiritually.  It's all chronicled in the Journal and the Study.  And I assure you, there's NOTHING like them at LifeWay or Family Christian or any other book store for that matter.  I searched high and low for a book or a study that would teach me in practical terms how to walk with Jesus in a closer friendship during my hell years - but could not find them.  Little did I know that Jesus would provide the answers that many would need through this weak, little servant girl in Cary, NC. 

You may think this sounds far-fetched, but it's been forever engraved on my heart.  The day the market plunged in 2008, I was in the midst of writing the study.  Reading the newspaper that day, I can remember Jesus whispering into my heart, "this study you are laboring over, will be the answer many will need as a result of what's to come."

Why?  Because people need Jesus.  They need more than a religion; more than a sermon - they need a practical love walk with the One Who understands them and loves them unconditionally.  They need security when nothing else these days are promising security.  He is our security.  Not our bank accounts or portfolios.  He alone is All Powerful.  He alone owns the cattle on a thousand hills.

Who do you go to when you are in the depths of despair?   When you have no one to help you; no one who understands; no one strong enough to lift you out of the pit?   

If we will wholeheartedly turn to Jesus and to His Word...  And start spending regular time with Him - listening and obeying what we learn -  and living it out in everyday life... God will make you fruitful in the land of your suffering.  He wastes NOTHING. 

No comments:

Post a Comment