Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Lazy, Crazy Days of Summer


I pray that out of His glorious riches He may strengthen you with power
through His Spirit in your inner being. . .
Ephesians 3:16

Those lazy, crazy days of summeryou’ll wish that summer will always be here. A catchy little tune sung by Nat King Cole came to mind this week as many families, like my own, relax, sleep in, hang-out at the pool, and go on vacation. But I have found within a few short weeks, being out of routine with long, hot sunny afternoons, can cause me anxiety - eventually wishing the summer days were over.

There’s a healthy tension of being lazy and feeling productive.  When I’m prone to become lazy physically, I tend to let that seep over into other areas of my spiritual life.

God understands when we need rest from the routine. As a matter of fact, God commands that we rest. Scripture addresses our need to work being similar to exercising our muscles, we need to be disciplined and “work out” spiritually. The apostle Paul mentions that physical training is of some value, but spiritual training has great value, holding promise to the present and the life to come. (1 Timothy 4:8)



Statistics prove if we maintain a healthy routine of when we sleep and wake, exercise and diet, our bodies feel and function better. *  To beat the summertime blues, I am learning to keep my mind and body in the game by staying disciplined.  (I use the word discipline in a positive light.)

I’ve been through the seasons of little sleep when my kids were younger. There is abundant grace when the kiddos are young.

But lately, I’ve been in a mental fog. At my house, my teenagers stay up late and sleep in late. Their routine is crazy! My body can’t function on their schedule.

Once in awhile I sleep in; but I have found, I'm “on top of my game” if I start my day early in my prayer chair while the kids are still sleeping. I grab my cup of coffee, my Bible, journal, and pen, and head out on the porch.

If the summertime crazies have hit your house, remember to stay on "top of your game” by adding this discipline to your summer routine.  You'll approach the lazy days of summer much differently!.


ABOUT SARAH:
Sarah graduated from Appalachian State University (ASU) with a K-6 degree.  She taught elementary education and served as the Secretary-Treasurer of Youth Ministry, Inc., a small, non-profit foundation established for seminary students.  She has been a member of the middle, high school, and college Moms in Touch International prayer meetings, along with a passion to teach at M.O.M.S – Mothers of Many Seasons, a women’s ministry group.  She is currently a speaker for Christian Women’s Clubs and the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC), and serves on the core team of Knowing God Ministries. Sarah welcomes events from all Christian denominations.  She lives in Apex, NC, with her husband, Eric and their three children, one of whom is continuing the family legacy by attending ASU.  She enjoys scrap booking, knitting. reading in the sun, biking and boating with her family.
To Contact Sarah Bush:
The Invitation-Come Boldly to the Throne of Grace
Grace for the Journey



*The Fear and Anxiety Solution, Friedman Schaub, MD, PhD

No comments:

Post a Comment