Monday, June 23, 2014

Crying out for Help!

1 Kings 18:36-38
... Elijah the prophet walked up to the altar and prayed, "O Lord, answer me... prove today You are God..."  Immediately the fire of the Lord flashed down from heaven...

Four months ago, God made it crystal clear He was calling me to a new ministry.  To be honest, I've resisted and have been freaking about this new ministry called home schooling.

One of the ways I deal with difficulty is by pulling a Scarlet O'Hara and assigning a later time to think about whatever worries or overwhelms me.   So for four months, every time worry tried to rear it's ugly head in my mind, I would tell myself, "NOPE, June is when you will think about this.  June - after vacation..."

Well, it's June.  And I just got back from vacation.

In church last week, home schooling my son was in the fore front of my brain.  The mere thought of it made my heart beat rapidly with overwhelming fear.  So during worship - the words to the music caused my emotions to erupt in the form of tears.  I begin pleading with Jesus, "Why?  How? Where do I even begin?  There's so much information out there.  I'm probably too late for sign ups. Lord, I'm overwhelmed and I feel like I'm drowning.  Help me!"

In response to my call for help, within 4 days, my Jesus sent fire from heaven.
  • HE Brought two experienced home school moms to my living room who helped me chart a course of action.
  • Connected me to a local home school group Director.  By the way, they only had 5 seats left in this particular program.
  • Confirmed in my heart, I was on the right path.  
  • Gave me time with the local Directors to ask tons of questions.
  • Allowed me to buy ALL the books I would need for fall - which by the way - the Director stood beside me saying, "You don't need this; But you'll need this..."  Saving me money and sanity!
Just as God flashed fire from heaven, helping Elijah accomplish what He commanded him to do, I am confirmed anew that He'll continue making resources available to me in order to accomplish His purposes in home schooling.

I've marveled all week and have shared this story with anyone who'll listen:)   And I'm not freaked out anymore.  Actually, I'm excited!  I'm looking forward with great anticipation to what God is going to do in this new ministry!

All this to say, God will DO THE SAME FOR YOU TOO!   He has no favorites.  His eyes are searching the whole earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to Him.

If you're overwhelmed with work; in your parenting this summer; in your single parenting; in your marriage; in your ministry - wherever that may be:
  1. Cry out to the Lord for help!  
  2. Be looking for the ways He'll answer. His answers are often very practical - but will yield results. I call this connecting the dots of circumstances to answers. 
  3. Give thanks and credit to God and Him alone.  Tell anyone who'll listen! 
This is when you will see fire from heaven in YOUR corner of the world.

4 comments:

  1. We just finished our first year of homeschooling in May, after it became very clear it was what God wanted us to do. And I have to say, while it was challenging and took a good deal of time, I really am loving it. I get to spend so much more time with the boys, and we can move at their own pace through the material. We've found a great circle of homeschooling friends to plan field trips and trips to the park with, and the boys are thriving. I'll be praying for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this, Tara. We are also just starting our homeschooling journey with my oldest. I knew God was calling me to it but I also didn't want to deal with it. We left Cary and moved to a new state in March and decided that it was the best time to start. While it has not been easy at all (way too much transition at once!!!) he is absolutely thriving. I have called out to God many times and He has been faithful to meet me in this journey. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so encouraging to hear Denise. Thank you. I pray that we too will "thrive!" (That's become one of my favorite words.) Powerful. So glad you still read though you've moved. Big hug to you Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not heard of ONE home school mom that says she regrets the decision. So encouraging! Thank you. And thank you for your prayers.

    ReplyDelete