Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Seasons of Life



Jeremiah 29:11

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Have you ever sat down and looked back at the work of God in your life?  Taking special note of where you've been and where He could be leading?

Below is Nancy's story - as told through her seasons of life.  You'll note, she's a real woman, with real life issues - real disappointments and almost turned her back on God.  In fact, she was 43 when she came to know Jesus.   She persevered and as a result, Jesus has enabled her to impact her corner of the world profoundly.  (And many other corners as well!  Mine being one of them.  [Tara])

As you read this - keep in mind that if the God of the Universe will do this through her, will He not do this through you? 

I hope you answered, yes!  If not, you'll surely answer "YES" after reading her story.


SEASON I
SOVEREIGN FOUNDATIONS
 Experiencing God as Creator
Birth to 1972

1. Raised in loving home.
2. Was a treasured child.
3. Became aware of God when I
was about three.
4.  Loved Him with all my heart.
5.  I knew He created me.
6.  I hungered to know Him.
7. My father was gone much of the
time.  He was an officer in the Air
Force.
8. He loved me the most. He actually showed favoritism.
9. Being a child, I didn’t know this
was difficult for my mother to
deal with.
7.  Grew up in a church that
taught falsely about salvation.

LESSON LEARNED:  The Lord’s
purpose will be served no matter
what family or religious
background one has.

SEASON II 
INNER-LIFE, GROWTH
Experiencing Jesus as Savior
1972-1981

1. Married Ray, had 4 children.
2. When I as 34 I turned away
from Jesus, believing He was
impossible to please.
3. Asked a friend how I could
become a Christian. She feared telling
me would damage our friendship.

4. Bought my first Bible in 1979
5. Received Jesus as Savior 10/81

LESSON LEARNED:  Jesus can
break through mind-sets, 
traditions, and false teaching,
revealing Himself as Savior.

Experiencing Jesus as Lord
1981-1982
1. Discovered Jesus wanted to be
Lord of my life.
2. Began to teach children.
3. Struggled with surrendering
everything
4. Surrendered my life
completely. 12/81  After realizing it
wasn't my husband who needed to change, but
me who needed to change. 
5,  Began to seek God's will. 

LESSON LEARNED:  I was quite surprised that the Lord wanted to "run my life", since I had been a Christian for eight weeks.  My question was?  "Well, who will I be?  I won't be me anymore.  I'll try it for three days to see if it works?"  Those three days, turned into 30 YEARS of ministry beyond my wildest dreams.  
SEASON III 
MINISTRY MATURING
Experiencing Jesus as Shepherd
1983-1988

1.Baptised 1/3/82
2. Gave testimony to Anne
Graham Lotz one year after
surrender.
3. Became discussion leader in
her class, and was trained for five
years in how to:   lead women, lead
discussions, do homiletics, teach,
pray, discern God’s will.
3. Without knowing it, Anne was
preparing me to take her place.
4. Ray and I became members
of Colonial Baptist Church, Cary, NC.
5. Began to teach women at
Colonial
6. Received call to be Teaching
Leader (class of 500 women)
12/11/87
7. Became teaching leader. 9/88
7. Selected/trained 65 leaders.
8. Invited to be on Anne’s team at
The Cove (Christian conference center in
Asheville, NC), for two years until we
moved to Omaha.  (No men were
taught.)

LESSONS LEARNED:  The Lord can use a new Christian in ministry, if she is willing to follow Him, learn about Him, and spend time with Him.
SEASON IV 
Life Maturing
Experiencing Jesus as King
1983-1994

1.Learned to teach.
2. Taught 32 weeks a year for
four years.
3. Parents moved in with us
three months after I began
teaching. 1/88
4. Mother terminally ill.
5. Ray’s company was sold.
(He was the president.)
6. He was very wounded.
7. Everyone needed me.
8. Ray took job in Omaha.
1/91
9.  Mom died in my arms.
2/91
10. Dad moved. 3/91
11. Sold house. 6/91
12 Moved to Omaha 6/92
13. Began to seek God’s will for my life
in this new season.
SEASON V 
CONVERGENCE

 Experiencing Jesus as Beloved
1994-2012
1. Discerned God’s leading
    to serve in Church 11/10/95
2.  Pastor’s message on 11/26-95
3.  Met w/him for direction 12/95
4. Began teaching two studies
5. One was “The Wife” Class” 9/96
6. Met Connie Grigsby 9/96
7. Invited her to co-author 11/96
8. Was asked to be Director of
Women’sMinistries 12/17/96
9. Contract first book 1997
10. On Staff at Church 5/99
11. Four more books, many translations
12. Dad died 9/8/02
12. Ray/cancer 2/06
13. Ray Died 12/10/2006
14. Served on Staff until 2008
14.Back to Cary/Colonial 2009
15. Teaching/Mentoring at
Colonial 2010
16. Writing two new books.

LESSONS LEARNED: Abiding in Him is my part and He works out details. I must cease concerning myself w/myself. Becoming preoccupied w/Him is my goal. To know Him is the primary
issue of life; all else pales in comparison.

Stay at His feet spending time with Him each day, dear sister and marvel at all God will do through you as well!

1 comment:

  1. WOW! I am in awe and don't even know the words to type. What a powerful testimony and one that God used to reach me. That's what I love about this sweet ministry... God coninues to reach out to me through whomever will be used by Him.

    This one thing I am still pondering... "I must cease concerning myself w/myself. Becoming preoccupied w/Him is my goal." WOW!!!

    Thank you for your testimony and faithfulness.

    ReplyDelete