Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Experiencing God in the Midst of Loss, Elizabeth Black


Elizabeth Black,
KGM Team Member

Matthew 5:4
“Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.” 

My family recently experienced the loss of my father-in-law.    Although, the eternal kingdom gained an amazing man, this has not made the grieving process any easier for our family.  But the Lord has been so gentle and almost tangibly real as He is carrying us through this extremely difficult time.    

On a day when I was raw and emotionally spent, the tears fell uncontrollably.  I prayed as I cried.  And through the tears, the words I had memorized from Matthew 5:4 seemed to say to me:

“I alone am your comfort”

He alone is my Comforter.  I did not need anyone else to share my tears.  He was with me, wrapping me in His arms.  I only needed Him to be a witness to my sorrow because ultimately, the Lord was the only one that could give me true reassurance.

The definition of comfort is a state of physical ease and freedom from pain or constraint.  

Because of Jesus dying on the cross for MY sin, and YOURS, we have been given freedom in Christ.  On this side of Heaven it does not necessarily mean we will have no pain, but it does mean that I have an Advocate, a Mediator, between myself and God, allowing me to draw near to the Lord.  And that brings me immeasurable COMFORT.

“I Am Jehovah Jir-ah” - The God of Provision - He is my sole provider

Where does my Help come from?
My Help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth.  (Psalm 121:1-2)

As my thoughts turned towards the grieving heart of my sweet little 6 year old girl, I couldn’t help but praise the Lord for providing her with a school that was helping her through her grieving process in a way the Lord could have foreseen.   The Lord positioned her to be at a school that would provide so genuinely the love, support and COMFORT she would be need as she processed the sadness of loosing her beloved Granddaddy. 

He Brings Peace. 
The Lord gives strength to his people;
the Lord blesses his people with peace.  Psalm 29:11


As I tears that had built up over the past months seemed to release like a dam being opened, I cried out to the Lord and praised him.  
  • I showered Him with thanksgiving for holding me and my family through.  
  • For His mercies.  
  • For His full and total understanding in all.  
And, for allowing me His insight in a time when sadness seemed to be taking over.  He pulled me up and reminded me of His promises and His Hope.   


Psalm 30:11-12
You turned my wailing into dancing;
you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,
that my heart may sing your praises and not be silent.
Lord my God, I will praise you forever.


We serve a God who loves us and wants to be a part of EVERY aspect of our lives.  He wants us to cry out to Him in our sorrows.   He wants us to praise Him in our victories.   He is with us ALWAYS to comfort, provide, listen and guide.  

Cling to Him today in whatever situation you may be facing.  He's waiting for you with arms wide open.


Are you coming to the:
Breaking up with Perfect Party?!
Tuesday, Jul;y 7th
Apex Baptist Church, Apex, NC

Join Amy Carroll and Friends for the release of her new book, Breaking up with Perfect.    It will be a great evening of fun, fellowship, sweets and shopping!  

Click here for more details!
Below is a taste of what you'll read in the book!


  • “Relationships shatter when we value perfection over people.” (Quote from Chapter 3 of Breaking Up with Perfect)
  • How has perfection ruined relationships in your life? How has God’s work restored relationships in your life (including the one with Himself)?
Don't miss it!  Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment