Thursday, July 17, 2014

Life's Storms

Joshua 1:9
"Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."  
Fifteen years ago as I found myself in cold and lonely operating room.  My husband and parents no longer with me, but in the waiting room.  Alone, scared and devastated for the reason of being there... I had had a miscarriage and was now having a D&C.

As I laid there, I could hear the voices of the anesthesiologist and others around.  They could have cared less about me.  This was their job.  I was merely a number; another case.  I remember feeling very isolated, though many were around me.

Suddenly, out of no where, I heard a voice in my head saying, "Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."  (Joshua 1:9)

It was as if Jesus were standing right beside me saying, "Tara, don't be terrified or discouraged.  I going to be with you, even as you pass into lala land from this anesthesia.  I will be there, Tara.  And don't you be discouraged.  I have a good plan for your life."   

His Words enveloped me like a warm blanket.  Suddenly, I didn't feel fear.

NOTHING substitutes from the comforting, encouraging Word of God during the trials and storms of life.

Today's post is dedicated to the people in my life - people I adore - going through major storms. Storms that NONE of us would wish on our worst enemies.  Storms that threaten to leave devastation for years to come.  Storms that came out of know where - storms you didn't see coming and then - WHAM.

If you are in a storm or in life's dark seasons,  I pray that the Scriptures below will give you some encouragement.

Now here's the deal:

  1. If one of these passages resonates in your heart, write it on an index card.  Put it on your refrigerator; your mirror; carry it in your pocket.  These words can serve mightily as they are the Words of God - comforting you at just the right time.  Often, when we are feeling the worst.
  2. Share a verse that carried you through life's dark storms.  Over the weekend - refer back to see encouragement from other people.
(Note:  To leave a comment:  Double click on the title of the post.  (This carries to the site).  Scroll down and leave a comment.)  


2 Chronicles 20:1-30, 
:3, "Alarmed, Jehoshaphat resolved to inquire of the Lord...
:12, "For we have no power to face this vast army that is attacking us.  We do not know what to do, but our eyes are on you."
:15, "Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army.  For the battle is not yours, but God's.

Psalm 27

Isaiah 26:3, "You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast because he trusts in You."

Isaiah 41:10"So do not fear, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

Isaiah 43:2, "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweet over you.  When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned up; the flames will not set you ablaze."

:5, "Do not be afraid, for I am with you."

Isaiah 45:3, "I will give you treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places so that you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Israel, Who summons you by name."

Isaiah 50:10, "Who among you fears the Lord and obeys the word of his servant?  Let him who walks in the dark, who has no light, trust in the name of the Lord and rely on his God."

Zechariah 9:12, "Return to your fortress, O prisoners of hope; even now I announce that I will restore twice as much to you."

Romans 8:28, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose."

Romans 8:31, "If God is for us, who can be against us?"

Romans 8:37, "No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him Who loved us."

John 16:33, "In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart!  I have overcome the world."

2 Corinthians 9:8, "And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.

Be encouraged, sweet friend.  Your God sees you and loves you.  He will never leave you nor forsake you.  (Hebrews 13:5)

Is your Soul Thirsty?


We're excited to partner with Encouragement Cafe and to offer you an online Bible study!   I've never done an online Bible study!  I can hardly wait:)

The really cool thing about an online Bible study -  You can do it from the comfort of your own home!


Intimacy with God begins Monday morning!  Click to this link to get started!  This study will help you:
  • Know God more intimately and personally -
  • Learn to hear His voice speaking tenderly to you - 
  • This study is LIFE CHANGING.
Join us Monday morning at Encouragement Cafe!





3 comments:

  1. So grateful for THIS post in THIS day.
    Can I just say: ALL! All the verses. . . many have carried me through dark, dark times - and the reminder coming in THIS day of how they sustained me turns my heart from fear to joy - -for He never changes - His words never fail - He is the same yesterday - today - and forever. He IS with me wherever I go. Thank you, dear Tara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tara for this post! It was exactly what I needed to hear. I have held on to Isaiah 41:10 over these past four months as well as Psalm 121:1-2 that says "I will lift up my eyes to the hills - From whence comes my help? My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth. I could not have made it without Him, He is my help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeremiah 29:11 was given to me by a mentor at church.She gave me a little plaque with the verse on it for my birthday. It's been one of the greatest gifts I have received bc since that day almost 11 yrs ago, it has served me well in times trouble. Due to illnesses and family issues I've often felt downcasted and useless but I KNOW no matter what things look like at the time God has a purpose and plan for me that is to prosper me and not harm me. "For I know the plans I have for you", says the Lord," plan to prosper you not harm you, to give you a future and a hope."Jeremiah 29:11 A year and half ago when I was going through a really rough patch Plumb's " Need You Now " gave me strength to hold on through the stormy seas and when I heard her story on the radio (it was either KLOVE or AIR1) she said she clung to Isaiah 40:10 "Do not be afraid for I am with you.Don't be discouraged for I am your God.I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand."

    ReplyDelete