Monday, December 3, 2012

Coddling Sin, Part 2


2 Corinthians 1:21NLT
It is God who enables us, along with you, to stand firm for Christ.


I must have struck a nerve with last week's post - Coddling Sin.  (By the way, I apologize for taking so long with a follow up.  I had a Board Meeting amongst many other life issues.  Thank you for your patience.)
 
Your Responses
I really enjoyed reading your responses.  Some of you shared stories of great opposition when you stood firm to Biblical principles with friends and acqaintances.  One of you, a business owner, experienced great hardship when you took a firm stand to God's definition of marriage.

To bring closure, I'd like to share 3 responses from women who are my teachers and have years and years of experience in ministry.   I think you'll benefit from the specifics of their answers!
 
True Friends - Phyllis Foy, November's ISI speaker's response:
In my own life, three women came and told me when I left Bob and was living in sin that I was wrong, that I would regret this and God would judge me.  They spared no words and prayed with me and for me.  They loved me and helped more than anyone will ever know.
There were times I hated them, loved them, could not stand them, othertimes I called them to cry. They were true friends, they did not spare words or the Bible.  They told me the truth, not what I wanted to hear.
 
Confronting Lifestyles of Sin -
Carol G.'s response:  Bible Teacher and in ministry for over 40 years -
 
"The key is confronting in love - with the goal of helping the Believer acknowledge their sin, repent & be restored. We need to be certain that we have removed our "planks" before confronting another's "sliver".  We may need to stop having fellowship with someone who chooses to enjoy their sin, but we should never stop loving & praying for them. Any confrontation should be done with humility & sensitivity lest we turn someone farther away from God."  

Rachel A.'s response.  Rachel is a Bible teacher who does lots and lots of research.  (She's also a scientist at Duke!)
Unchecked sin among believers weakens the Church and its influence in the world.  I think this is why Paul was so adamant about it in his letter to the Corinthians. It is also important to remember the context and audience of his letter. He was writing to a group of former pagans who viewed sex as a normal part of their culture and even their pagan worship practices (temple prostitutes). 
 
They may have been comparing themselves to their unbelieving friends/family members and were so busy judging them that they didn't have time to deal with the sin in their own life. We do this too when we choose to judge those who aren't believers. What other way should unbelievers act? They are spiritually dead, they don't have the power to do anything else.
 
The believer has been given the Holy Spirit and His power to say no to sin and therefore we should stop excusing a lifestyle of sin.  I think this is who Paul says to avoid, those believers who are living a lifestyle of sin, a continual pattern of sin, not the believer who is coming out of sin habits (maybe not all at once) but definitely continuing to grow in Christ. If we truly avoided such people perhaps they could no longer justify their sin because they would see that it was costing them their fellowship with other believers. This is minor compared to their loss of fellowship with the Father.   This may lead to repentance.
 
The way we go about breaking the tie would require much prayer and we would certainly need to be sure that our own lives were above reproach (not without sin as this is impossible but certainly with no known continual sin) so perhaps this would cause all believers to take personal holiness a lot more seriously.  

I hope this helps!  It sure helps me to have a stronger backbone and for more grace!
See you tomorrow:)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment