Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Tormented by Guilt?


Friday, April 13, 2012
11:30-1:00p
MacGregor Downs Country Club, Cary, NC
Co-Author of The Politically Incorrect Wife, Nancy Cobb is our speaker Friday!
The General session:
How to Turn Your Marriage Around in 3 Days
The Workshop to follow is:
How to Get Your Husband to Talk to You.
1:20-2:15pm
Register Now!  

Click below: 


Tormented By Guilt?

Colossians 2:13
"For He forgave all our sins.  He cancelled the record of the charges against us and took it away by nailing it to the cross."  NLT
This post is going to seem out of left field to many of you.  But there's a common thread that I'm hearing from some my emails - guilt over sin.

No matter what's in our past; no matter how bad we've messed up:  there is no sin too big for our loving and merciful God. 
The Bible says "if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9.
 
YET...

Our enemy, Satan, wants us to continue to beat us up over our sin.  Especially after the Lord has forgiven us.  Often, he will torment us with guilt and condemnation over such things as a:
  • Sin habit
  • Divorce
  • Abortion
  • Telling a lie
  • Drunkeness 
  • Adultery
  • Screaming at your children -
  • Using the Lord's name in vain -
  • Immorality -
  • Skipping your quiet time over and over and over.  1 day turning into a month!
Once the sin is confessed - it's over!  No more discussion. 

I love this phrase from the old hymn, "It is Well with My Soul" -
"My sin not in part, but the whole
Is nailed to the Cross and
I bear it no more - Praise the Lord!  Praise the Lord, O my soul."

If you want guilt and condemnation to go away once and for all - learn to believe and speak Scripture out loud. 

Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the Lord" - and you forgave the guilt of my sin.  Psalm 32:5

Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.  Romans 8:1

Memorize one of 4 Scriptures I've given you today.  And the next time you feel tormented with guilt and condemnation over a past sin - speak the Bible verse out loud.   Tell the enemy "there is no condemnation for me, devil.  Now get out of here." 

Yes, you will feel like a loon.

But it works!  Try it.

1 comment:

  1. Tears are blinding my eyes as I write this out. You, your ministry, your team have always been a blessing to me and I know the Lord led me to your blog for this... Truth and healing. Praise the Lord!

    The one thing I struggle with is perfectionism. If my quiet time isn't "perfect" or like you said days turn into weeks, because I can't find the "perfect" time... I am racked with guilt.

    I am claiming col. 2:13 today and will begin memorizing and calling it out before Satan when he uses the perfect card against me.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete