Monday, April 29, 2013

Running from God

Exodus 4:13
But Moses said, "O Lord, please send someone else to do it."

 
Will, Caroline and I at Wrightsville Beach 2 years ago - when the run began!
 
This June will be 2 years.  Two years from when I laced up my shoes and starting running from an assignment God was impressing upon my heart to do.
 
My dear friend, Maggie had opened her ocean front condo to my family at one of our favorite vacation spots:  Wrightsville Beach, NC.  (My husband and I went to school at UNCW - so the area is special to us.)
 
As is habit, I started my day staring at the ocean -  Marveling at the creation and power of God; Enjoying my early morning coffee with my Bible in lap preparing for the day.
 
When suddenly, the seed for the next Bible study I was to write, Created for a Purpose,  was conceived in my heart.  God was using not only using the text I was studying - but the words from a Casting Crowns Song, The Voice of Truth to direct my thoughts. (See Lyrics below)
 
Like Moses, I RAN from the assignment. 
  • I made excuses about how hard it was; and how I am most unqualified. 
  • I delayed for months by using my schedule as a reason.
  • I even told God, "Tell Beth Moore to write this. She would do a much better job.  Plus she's qualified!"

Last fall, in the Outer Banks, while vacationing with my extended family, Caroline brought me a fortune cookie from her lunch.   Listen to what it said, "Are you going to write the book?"  

I had been running for a year and a half.  God speaks primarily through Scripture. But God is God. He can speak however He so chooses. If God can speak through a donkey,(Numbers 22:30) He can certainly use any source He desires.

Finally, at the start of 2013, I realized I had fewer speaking events than I've ever had in the 6 years I've been speaking.  Through my study of Revelation, God seemed to infer the same thing to me as He did to John:  I'm going to help you stop running by clearing your schedule so that you can worship and write.  (Oh the things God will do to get our attention when we are running away from His will.)

"OK God! You have my attention. I'll stop running."

Stop Running

There were many days I'd feel like my feet were in mud with writer's block. I've experienced episodes of dizziness to the point of paralysis and in the bed.  I've had fit-full nights of sleep. I've experienced circumstantial issues that have brought me great distress. The temptation to give up has been overwhelming.  I believe these things are spiritual.  I would not be this far without the fervent prayers of my team. 

I can also share, just as God brought the animals to Noah during the building of the ark - God brought to me the abundance of Scriptures and subject matter.  His Words are the predominate trait of Created for a Purpose.

My personal goal was to finish Created for a Purpose by the beginning of June.  When in early March, Jesus' words seemed to jump off the page and address the finishing of Created for a Purpose:

"My food, is to do the will of Him who sent me and to finish His work.  Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'?  I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields!  They are ripe for harvest."  John 4:34-35

By God's amazing grace, last Thursday, my manuscript was finished and turned in!!!  It has been through a doctrinal edit; a grammatical edit, and a pilot group currently finishing the study. (More on them in another post!)

Finishing the work, is why I haven't blogged.  I didn't even do an ISI follow-up from last month as I enjoy doing for those who can't make it.  But I can't multitask with excellence anymore.  Excellence in God's eyes is taking care of my core responsibilities -my husband and children first.  And then whatever He's called us to do minus the running shoes.

Fayeson Tilley made my day last week when she emailed asking, "Where are you? Why are you off the grid?"   I've got to be honest, it was good to be missed by her.  I'm praying I haven't lost readers in my absence.

In the meantime, it's so good to be back!


By the way, I had to buy a new pair of shoes this weekend.  My feet were starting to hurt from almost 2 years of running in those old worn out shoes that represented worn out, faithless excuses:)

Have you ever run from an assignment God is placing on your heart? 
Will you share it with me?



Next Week at Iron Sharpens Iron - May 10th, I'll be speaking and launching:  Created for a Purpose, Impact your Corner of the World by Living a Life that Counts. 

More tomorrow -
 
Are you allowing your past affect your present and your future??? 
You'll love Created for a Purpose 
 
Voice of Truth Lyrics
Oh what I would do to have
The kind of faith it takes
To climb out of this boat I'm in
Onto the crashing waves

To step out of my comfort zone
Into the realm of the unknown where Jesus is
And He's holding out His hand

But the waves are calling out my name
And they laugh at me
Reminding me of all the times
I've tried before and failed
The waves they keep on telling me
Time and time again. "Boy, you'll never win!"
"You'll never win!"

Chorus:
But the voice of truth tells me a different story
The voice of truth says, "Do not be afraid!"
The voice of truth says, "This is for My glory"
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth


Oh what I would do to have
The kind of strength it takes to stand before a giant
With just a sling and a stone
Surrounded by the sound of a thousand warriors
Shaking in their armor
Wishing they'd have had the strength to stand


But the giant's calling out my name
And he laughs at me
Reminding me of all the times
I've tried before and failed
The giant keeps on telling me
Time and time again. "Boy you'll never win!"
"You'll never win!"


But the stone was just the right size
To put the giant on the ground
And the waves they don't seem so high
From on top of them lookin' down
I will soar with the wings of eagles
When I stop and listen to the sound of Jesus
Singing over me


I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth


2 comments:

  1. Tara ~ It's so good to hear from you, you have been missed! I can't wait for the new study! Thank you for being faithful to His calling and work to bless others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I have &, truthfully I am still running. I've been wanting to write a book since I was little & the Lord has placed it on my heart to share parts of my testimony in one, but I've been putting it off. I've been letting my own insecurities get the best of me thinking that I'm not qualified enough. I'm also scared of digging up things from my past to share, afraid of what others may think when they read it, even though I know the impact that it could have on those close to me.

    ReplyDelete