Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Ready, Set, GO!


(Part One of a Three Part series entitled STOP AND GO, by Fuller)


Many people grow up thinking that the Bible is a bunch of Thou-Shalt-NOTs.  In reality, it is a HUGE compilation of yeses, complete with a litany of “open door” GOs.  (Certainly, a GO is more of a YES than anything else, right?) 

Honestly, one of God’s favorite roles throughout the Bible is telling people to GO – and hoping they’ll obey!

For fun, fasten your seatbelt:
Let’s take a rip roarin’ ride through the Bible to find some Go’s - - - Ready, Set, Go!


To Noah: Go into the ark, you and your whole family, because I have found you righteous in this generation. (Genesis 7:1)

To Abraham: Go from your country. . .to the land I will show you. (Gen. 12:1)

To Jacob:  Go back to the land of your fathers . . . and I will be with you. (Gen. 31:3)

To Aaron:  Go into the wilderness to meet Moses. (Exodus 4:27)

To Moses:  Go to Pharaoh and say to him, ‘This is what the Lord says: Let my people go, so that they may worship me.” (Exodus 8:1)

To David: Go, for I will surely deliver the Philistines into your hands. (II Samuel 5:19)

To Elijah:  Go down with him; do not be afraid of him.  (II Kings 1:15)

To Jeremiah:  Go up and down the streets of Jerusalem . . .If you can find but one person who deals honestly and seeks the truth, I will forgive this city. (Jeremiah 5:1)

Jesus to a young man:  If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven.  (Matthew 19:21)

Jesus to the disciples:   Go into the city to a certain man and tell him, ‘The Teacher says: . . . I am going to celebrate the Passover with my disciples at your house.’ (Matt. 26:18)

Jesus’ final words to the disciples: Go ye therefore, and make disciples of all the nations. (Matt. 28:19)

Jesus to lepers:  When he saw them, he said, “Go, show yourselves to the priests.” And as they went, they were cleansed. (Luke 17:14)

Jesus to Mary Magdalene:  Do not hold on to me . . . Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father. . .' (John 20:17)

To John:  Go, take the scroll that lies open in the hand of the angel who is standing on the sea and on the land.  (Revelation 10:8)

From the beginning of the Bible until the end,
God seems more that willing to say, “Go!” 

Are you willing to hear Him? 
Are you willing to obey?


[Next time, just to keep things interesting, we’ll be discussing “The Stop”.]

Copyright 2013, K. Fuller Harvey/Knowing God Ministries. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment