Thursday, February 14, 2013

10 Best Things to Say to Someone in Grief

Proverbs 16:24
Pleasant words are a honeycomb: sweet to the taste and health to the body.

I enjoyed reading your emails yesterday.  Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Two of my readers, who have experienced great personal loss - shared comments I'd like to pass along.  The second comment will lead us into the flip from yesterday - what TO say
  • Following the death of her young adult son, one reader received this response,  "Did you know your son owed the church library?"
Oh my heavens...  Lord, help our words to be sweet and health to the body.
  • "People need to understand that after a death, the person who remains is now alone and facing a life that is forever changed. It's the here and now that needs comfort and attention."
So, according to Carol Godwin, our speaker from last Friday's luncheon, we learned the things TO SAY as well...

The Best Things to Say to Someone in Grief

1.  I am so sorry for your loss.
2.  I wish I had the right words, just know I care.
3.  I don't know how you fee, but I am here to help in anyway I can.
4.  You and your loved one will be in my thoughts and prayers.
5.  My favorite memory of your loved one is...
6.  I am always just a phone call away.
7.  Give a hug instead of saying something..
8.  We all need help at times like this, I am here for you.
9.  I am usually up early or late, if you need anything...
10.  Saying nothing, just be with the person.

May all our words and actions "be sweet to the taste and health to those we encounter" this weekend, starting first with our families. 
Have a great weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment